If you wanna make God laugh, tell Him your plans, right?

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
Maybe this'll be good for a chuckle.

We're currently building a house on an acre in Lakeside, Arizona (east, pine-woods, elevation 7130 ft), and should be done by late fall. Next year, once the dust settles, and the spousal unit finishes all the Honey-Do building projects, I will start on the Chicken House & Run. Summer highs in the mid 90's, winter lows around 10, and crazy low humidity.

I bought plans for a Shed-roof building, 5' by 16' and intend to divide it three ways. One end for the Silver Gray Dorkings, the middle for the Bachelor Pad, and the other end for the birds I just can't say no to; Mottled Houdans, Gold Brabanters, and Black Australorps. (The heart knows no reason, but it knows what it wants.) I'll use deep compost/litter in the coop and dirt/mulch in the runs--it's dry here, so I might actually have to spray down the run once in a while. Don't know yet. Lots of shade from pines and junipers.

I intend to purchase three Dorking males, choose the best for breeding with the five females--the other two will go in the Bachelor Pad. The Houdans are straight run, so there will be another one or two for the BP. The Brabanters and Australorps will be purchased as pullets, and any typical Oops Fellow will join the guys. If I get a curly hair, I might add one of the guys in with the mixed flock just to see what results, and either hatch chicks in an incubator or let a broody hen have them if she's willing. I don't intend to breed the Dorkings to sell, just for our dual purpose use. I do want to keep them pure and improve if I can, so I'll have to add a new rooster or two for new blood down the line.

The runs: the runs will be 16 ft long, and split so the mixed flock gets the main width, while the Dorkings and Bachelors share the rest. I'll use pressure treated 4x4s & 2x4s with cattle panels and hardware cloth for the exterior perimeter. For the interior divisions--2x4s, cattle panels and chicken wire. Hardware cloth on 2x4s over top of it all. There will be way too many doors to suit the hubs, but it's the nature of the beast. Dust baths will get quality wood stove ash, and we have a good red clay/sand loam for dirt.

They can't free range, sadly. The area is rural, but folks don't keep their dogs in, and we have wildlife that love chicken as much as we do. Including black bears. We don't have grass up on the mountain--just loads of pine needles--so I've studied all the best practices for feeding, and plans for an herb garden. The birds will have lots of enrichment, and my husband will become a chicken widower. (Sorry, hon.)

The reason I'm posting is because of my lack of experience concerning building a good safe run & coop, and I'm hoping to get feedback on my plan (it's okay to laugh, just try to be gentle.) I've waited for over a decade for us to finally stop moving (this will be our 18th move in 26 years) and to finally be able to have chickens. I want to do it as right as I can from the beginning.

So; what am I missing?

Last edited:
The cow/horse panels will work. That's what I have for my run. Just make sure that the hardware cloth wire is run down at least 2 feet below the ground level when you attach it to the panels to help deter any digging from predators. Cover the top well also so that nothing can get in from above. I also have a padlock that's on my entry door to the coop, and don't loose your key if you put one on yours.

The cow/horse panels will work. That's what I have for my run. Just make sure that the hardware cloth wire is run down at least 2 feet below the ground level when you attach it to the panels to help deter any digging from predators. Cover the top well also so that nothing can get in from above. I also have a padlock that's on my entry door to the coop, and don't loose your key if you put one on yours.

Thanks! I used hog panels stood on their sides in an S curve once as a trellis, and was impressed by how strong they were. These are going to be expensive eggs and chicken dinners, but it'll be worth it.

Thanks! I used hog panels stood on their sides in an S curve once as a trellis, and was impressed by how strong they were. These are going to be expensive eggs and chicken dinners, but it'll be worth it.

The Dorking's don't lay that many egg's that well, so make sure your third pen has the better laying hen's in it. The Dorking are supposed to go broody though, so they can help you to hatch out chick's. I was lucky to have gotten my breeding group of the 7 Silver Grey Dorking's when I did, because it seem's that no one will have them available again until spring.

The Dorking's don't lay that many egg's that well, so make sure your third pen has the better laying hen's in it. The Dorking are supposed to go broody though, so they can help you to hatch out chick's. I was lucky to have gotten my breeding group of the 7 Silver Grey Dorking's when I did, because it seem's that no one will have them available again until spring.

That was my goal--I know I'm "supposed" to be raising them for eggs--but as it's just the hubs and I, the egg count is not critical. But I am counting on the Dorking Ladies to be broody. Do you mind if I ask where you got yours? I'm planning to order all of mine from Ideal Poultry. I know a guy who sells chicks/eggs of Red Dorkings, but I need to learn I can do this right before spend his kind of money.

We're currently building a house on an acre in Lakeside, Arizona (east, pine-woods, elevation 7130 ft), and should be done by late fall. Next year, once the dust settles, and the spousal unit finishes all the Honey-Do building projects, I will start on the Chicken House & Run. Summer highs in the mid 90's, winter lows around 10, and crazy low humidity.

I bought plans for a Shed-roof building, 5' by 16' and intend to divide it three ways. One end for the Silver Gray Dorkings, the middle for the Bachelor Pad, and the other end for the birds I just can't say no to; Mottled Houdans, Gold Brabanters, and Black Australorps. (The heart knows no reason, but it knows what it wants.) I'll use deep compost/litter in the coop and dirt/mulch in the runs--it's dry here, so I might actually have to spray down the run once in a while. Don't know yet. Lots of shade from pines and junipers.

I intend to purchase three Dorking males, choose the best for breeding with the five females--the other two will go in the Bachelor Pad. The Houdans are straight run, so there will be another one or two for the BP. The Brabanters and Australorps will be purchased as pullets, and any typical Oops Fellow will join the guys. If I get a curly hair, I might add one of the guys in with the mixed flock just to see what results, and either hatch chicks in an incubator or let a broody hen have them if she's willing. I don't intend to breed the Dorkings to sell, just for our dual purpose use. I do want to keep them pure and improve if I can, so I'll have to add a new rooster or two for new blood down the line.

The runs: the runs will be 16 ft long, and split so the mixed flock gets the main width, while the Dorkings and Bachelors share the rest. I'll use pressure treated 4x4s & 2x4s with cattle panels and hardware cloth for the exterior perimeter. For the interior divisions--2x4s, cattle panels and chicken wire. Hardware cloth on 2x4s over top of it all. There will be way too many doors to suit the hubs, but it's the nature of the beast. Dust baths will get quality wood stove ash, and we have a good red clay/sand loam for dirt.

They can't free range, sadly. The area is rural, but folks don't keep their dogs in, and we have wildlife that love chicken as much as we do. Including black bears. We don't have grass up on the mountain--just loads of pine needles--so I've studied all the best practices for feeding, and plans for an herb garden. The birds will have lots of enrichment, and my husband will become a chicken widower. (Sorry, hon.)

The reason I'm posting is because of my lack of experience concerning building a good safe run & coop, and I'm hoping to get feedback on my plan (it's okay to laugh, just try to be gentle.) I've waited for over a decade for us to finally stop moving (this will be our 18th move in 26 years) and to finally be able to have chickens. I want to do it as right as I can from the beginning.

So; what am I missing?
A better location since all that area of the country has been on fire?

I bought plans for a Shed-roof building, 5' by 16' and intend to divide it three ways.

I would have suggested something bigger. It looks like you are planning on the minimum size for the flock you want to stat with. No flexibility. By hatching chicks in the future you may have real issues integrating them. That concerns me.

The runs: the runs will be 16 ft long, and split so the mixed flock gets the main width, while the Dorkings and Bachelors share the rest.

If you have Dorking girls in the run with the bachelors it is not a bachelor pad.

For the interior divisions--2x4s, cattle panels and chicken wire.

If all you are doing is keeping chickens separated chick wire is enough. Save yourself some money on the cattle panels.

Dust baths will get quality wood stove ash, and we have a good red clay/sand loam for dirt.

I give mine access to the ground and they make their own dust baths. No wood ash or anything else. Just dirt.

There will be way too many doors to suit the hubs

Probably. But I really like the idea of having them all interconnected. Greatly improves you flexibility.

Including black bears.

The only thing that will stop a determined bear is electricity. You might consider protecting your perimeter with electric fencing.

I want to do it as right as I can from the beginning. So; what am I missing?

What are you missing? Probably several things. I don't know anybody that got everything right the first time. Build it as convenient for you as you can. Try to stay simple. Where are you storing feed? Where do you get the water? In winter and summer. Make sure you have room to work. Build it with as much flexibility as you can. To a large extent than means make it as large as you can. Don't short-change yourself on room. You are planning on hens that can go broody? Where will you put your broody buster, it is highly unlikely you will give every hen that goes broody eggs to hatch. If you hatch, what will you do with the extra boys?

You are going to be faced with a lot of things you can't plan for so stay flexible. The room to change or ad things as you go along can greatly reduce stress levels.

So; what am I missing?
I ❤️ your wit! I waited a long time too, cannot free-range either or a restless hen might be smacked by a truck Eeeeewe. Kinda sounds like you’re busy and doing good... watch ‘BeckysHomestead’ YouTubes. Common sense tips @worms, fresh water and feed. Good luck 👍 and yeah God has an odd sense of humor😻🙀🤪

I bought plans for a Shed-roof building, 5' by 16' and intend to divide it three ways.

I would have suggested something bigger. It looks like you are planning on the minimum size for the flock you want to stat with. No flexibility. By hatching chicks in the future you may have real issues integrating them. That concerns me.

The runs: the runs will be 16 ft long, and split so the mixed flock gets the main width, while the Dorkings and Bachelors share the rest.

If you have Dorking girls in the run with the bachelors it is not a bachelor pad.
This will be split for them, Dorkings on one side and Bachelors the other. :)

For the interior divisions--2x4s, cattle panels and chicken wire.

If all you are doing is keeping chickens separated chick wire is enough. Save yourself some money on the cattle panels. Cool!

Dust baths will get quality wood stove ash, and we have a good red clay/sand loam for dirt.

I give mine access to the ground and they make their own dust baths. No wood ash or anything else. Just dirt. They'll have dirt, mixed with pine needles and leaves, branches and perches, etc., but I will make ash available in one spot to see if they like it. If they don't use it, I won't add more.

There will be way too many doors to suit the hubs

Probably. But I really like the idea of having them all interconnected. Greatly improves you flexibility.

Including black bears.

The only thing that will stop a determined bear is electricity. You might consider protecting your perimeter with electric fencing. They'll be in the coop at night, but I'm considering electric around the outside of the run.

I want to do it as right as I can from the beginning. So; what am I missing?

What are you missing? Probably several things. Don't I know it? :~P I don't know anybody that got everything right the first time. Build it as convenient for you as you can. Try to stay simple. Where are you storing feed? Where do you get the water? In winter and summer. Make sure you have room to work. Build it with as much flexibility as you can. To a large extent than means make it as large as you can. Don't short-change yourself on room. You are planning on hens that can go broody? Where will you put your broody buster, it is highly unlikely you will give every hen that goes broody eggs to hatch. If you hatch, what will you do with the extra boys? Sounds like I need to cut my starting number in half. Thank you.

You are going to be faced with a lot of things you can't plan for so stay flexible. The room to change or ad things as you go along can greatly reduce stress levels.

Back
Top Bottom