Illinois...

I just got home from dinner at my sister's. I asked my brother-in-law about helping me pickup lumber with his suburban. He said let's go right now. So just like that we went to Menards and I bought the lumber to build the new swingset. The price of lumber sucks, but it's not likely to come down anytime soon. A treated 4x4x8 used to cost $10 and now costs $15. I seen standard construction gear 2x4x8 boards for $6.60! Those used to be $2-$3 just a year ago.
The kids better LOVE this new swingset.

Because I'm a numbers nerd:

PXL_20210311_042903283~2.jpg

Fellow Illinoisans, on Tuesday I picked up some cornish cross meat chicks from Petersburg Poultry, and I have to say these chicks are spunky and have plenty of life and vigor to them. I've historically always got my birds from Welp Hatchery, but am strongly considering switching to these guys full time. 0 shipping stress or transport losses as I hauled them in the cab of my truck vs. the back of a USPS freight rig. Its still early, but so far I'm very impressed. As far as I know they currently only sell cobb 500 cornish cross chicks and BBW turkey poults. Just thought I'd share in case any one else is interested in them.

Has anybody else used them before? What have your experiences been?

Not much chicken action today except feed and collect eggs. 6 eggs today. Also, our brown leghorn unexplainably escaped from the run. There are no gaps in the run fence that are not covered by hc or netting. I'm thinking she got out unnoticed when I went into the coop earlier in the day. Regardless, I scooped her up and put her back in the run.

In other news aside from chickens, a friend came by and helped me start building the new swingset. We set eight posts with post anchors that we had to pound into the ground. Then we got the basic framing up and lifted the beam in place that will support the swings. Tomorrow, I'll go back over it all with brackets and lag bolts as everything is simply screwed together for now. Then I'll lay the decking and get working on the railings for the platforms and then on to attaching the swings and slide and building some ramps or ladders. The kids will be playing on it in no time.

Today I went by my chickens,,,, and cant find Lonely:(,,, so I start looking around for her everywhere. I find her sitting in my bale of hay. I knew she was sitting in a chicken made nest there. After a short time, I hear the egg song,,:yesss:,, so went and took the egg still warm.
IMG_20210312_163431690_HDR.jpg

Hard to imagine such a small body producing relatively large projectile.:old
IMG_20210312_164938981.jpg

Today's harvest. Lonelys' egg is the smallest on right. It is round in this pix, but only because of the angle I had best exposure.
IMG_20210312_165131938_HDR.jpg

Just wanted to check weight. Set scale to grams.
IMG_20210312_165309853.jpg

Fellow Illinoisans, on Tuesday I picked up some cornish cross meat chicks from Petersburg Poultry, and I have to say these chicks are spunky and have plenty of life and vigor to them. I've historically always got my birds from Welp Hatchery, but am strongly considering switching to these guys full time. 0 shipping stress or transport losses as I hauled them in the cab of my truck vs. the back of a USPS freight rig. Its still early, but so far I'm very impressed. As far as I know they currently only sell cobb 500 cornish cross chicks and BBW turkey poults. Just thought I'd share in case any one else is interested in them.

Has anybody else used them before? What have your experiences been?
Never heard of them.. they had some delaware listed , but not available.
2 1/2 to 3 hrs away from me.

Back
Top Bottom