Illinois...

The strawberries are now done and the cherries are beginning.

Despite this year's snow, we're getting a decent amount of cherries. Today's harvest from our one bush was 9.2 lbs. It started with our kids and then some more neighbor kids came to help. They soon learned the fun of spitting pits and marking each other with cherry juice. Boys!
:lau
IMG_7483.JPG IMG_7482 (2).JPG

Our cherries finish up by July 4th..... but that's when the raspberries and blueberries will start.

Last edited:

Despite this year's snow, we're getting a decent amount of cherries. Today's harvest from our one bush was 9.2 lbs. It started with our kids and then some more neighbor kids came to help. They soon learned the fun of spitting pits and marking each other with cherry juice. Boys!
View attachment 2730683View attachment 2730684

Our cherries finish up by July 4th..... but that's when the raspberries and blueberries will start.
Looks great
Surprised the birds left you any

Looks great
Surprised the birds left you any
The cherries are out front, so chickens have no access. (The chickens do get to the raspberries and some blueberries, so we must share those. LOL) The wild birds don't seem to bother with the cherries. Perhaps it's the location (near a street and busy sidewalk) or the variety (more of a tart cherry) or simply birds don't eat fruit with pits.

The wild birds do eat some mulberries but I don't care much for them. Our mulberry tree was a volunteer that I decided to keep in the far back just for the chickens. It's the 1st place the flock runs to every morning. My chickens ❤️ their mulberries. Funny because @homeschoolin momma also has a mulberry tree and her chickens don't really eat them.

View attachment 2730683View attachment 2731001

I'm jealous of all the berries. Since we just started our strawberry patch this year and got it in a bit late, we don't have many strawberries to show this year. The kids each got one strawberry the other day. There's a few more out there developing I think, but we are not expecting a big harvest. Hoping the plants grow well though and come back next year for a good harvest.

Funny because @homeschoolin momma also has a mulberry tree and her chickens don't really eat them.
There's 4 mulberry trees in the poultry yard. One all the wildlife clean it up first. Then they may or not get the others. I read there's different varieties that look the same.

I'm jealous of all the berries. Since we just started our strawberry patch this year and got it in a bit late, we don't have many strawberries to show this year. The kids each got one strawberry the other day. There's a few more out there developing I think, but we are not expecting a big harvest. Hoping the plants grow well though and come back next year for a good harvest.
Well, we did cheat a little on the strawberries. The ones from home were eaten daily. Then we went strawberry picking up in Janesville, WI. About 16 lbs were brought home. We shared 6 lbs with family and neighbors and then froze the rest for strawberry goodness year-round.

View attachment 2730683View attachment 2731001

Looks like everyone had a lot of fun. That's great!

Our chickens love our mulberry tree. We hate it. The berries are super bland. And it’s all messy. We dream of removing it and planting something we like. Apples or cherries. But it provides good shade to the coop.

We went strawberry picking and got some beautiful berries. It was how we spent our last day with our exchange student before she went home to Italy.

Our little girls are slow going with their laying. Finally got an egg from the bcm, and we have had exactly one blue egg like Owe a week ago and then no more. The olive egger and the cream eggs are a few times a week.

Back
Top Bottom