Illinois...

Here's Darling. I think she's pretty.

IMG_9046 (2).JPG

The chickens got a brief playtime outside while DS was raking leaves.
IMG_9040 (2).JPG

This morning I was next to one coop and heard the turkeys alert about 30ft away. As I turned I seen them duck as a coopers hawk flew under a branch 6ft over their heads. The hawk was about 2ft over them. It flew up on a branch until I yelled at it. Not sure if it was the same one that I seen injured, but it was laughing.
There was 2 toms, 10 hens, the chickens ran. There had been 2 cockerels small enough for it to get. Don't know if it was after them or a sparrow.

To those who recently slaughtered turkeys, I bought turkeys at the store and even those were just 12 lbs. They had the bigger ones but only in major brands like JennieO. The sale priced birds were all 10-12lbs just.

That said I have 4 so far in the freezer. For $0.33 per pound (at Meijer) you cannot beat that price for meat these days. We enjoy turkey all year round in various ways.

To those who recently slaughtered turkeys, I bought turkeys at the store and even those were just 12 lbs. They had the bigger ones but only in major brands like JennieO. The sale priced birds were all 10-12lbs just.

That said I have 4 so far in the freezer. For $0.33 per pound (at Meijer) you cannot beat that price for meat these days. We enjoy turkey all year round in various ways.
But those 33 cent turkeys are 7% brine or more. The taste is different. Heritage turkeys are over $10 a lb and hard to find

But those 33 cent turkeys are 7% brine or more. The taste is different. Heritage turkeys are over $10 a lb and hard to find
Very true. I was not trying to compare quality. They heritage quality and quality of a self slaughtered bird are far better than what I bought. I've raised several of turkeys from you over the past few years and found the taste as well as texture of those birds to be far superior. I was just mentioning size comparison and that it is hard to pass ul the good deal.

Very true. I was not trying to compare quality. They heritage quality and quality of a self slaughtered bird are far better than what I bought. I've raised several of turkeys from you over the past few years and found the taste as well as texture of those birds to be far superior. I was just mentioning size comparison and that it is hard to pass ul the good deal.
To tell the truth.... I have a small 33 center in the freezer and cooked one up. It's like a different species lol...

Back
Top Bottom