Illinois...

I did make up for the 4-h event. Made a batch of donuts (2 doz) with 1st family & Two more batches with 2 families tomorrow.

They were happy to buy the dough, learn how to roll, cook, and glaze them then take them all home. (Of course they also had to try them fresh and warm )

885BB37C-0E7C-4ED5-AE80-36EFF0E91E48.jpeg

I also tried making a few lemon filled. Not as pretty but my favorite.
C4CCBCFC-8A11-4026-9A63-0E312E94A20A.jpeg

Now I can remake all the dough for the rescheduled event on April 15th. Anyone local is welcome to attend. DuPage County Fairgrounds expo building #1. It’s the annual 4H International Night from 6-9pm. Family friendly.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Clearly I don't keep up with this thread (really hard to just jump in when convo has been going on for so long) but was curious if anyone else is brooding any chicks outdoors, and how is it going?
I am in southern (just barely lol) IL and have 28 barred rock chicks at 1wk old outside in their coop, in a brooder box and they are doing pretty darn good

Attachments

• 20230304_070244.jpg
    20230304_070244.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 1
Hey all,
Clearly I don't keep up with this thread (really hard to just jump in when convo has been going on for so long) but was curious if anyone else is brooding any chicks outdoors, and how is it going?
I am in southern (just barely lol) IL and have 28 barred rock chicks at 1wk old outside in their coop, in a brooder box and they are doing pretty darn good
Feel free to jump in any time!
I’m in NW IL so the earliest I’ve had chicks is the end of March. I have a chicken buddy that has raised them this early. She has a brooder set up in her garage. They go out to her coop when fully feathered. No electricity in her coop or they’d be out there from the start.

Hey all,
I don’t have chicks at moment but I’ve raised many in garage or coop with my homemade “mama heating pad” (March through early November hatch dates). The last few years I’ve been fortunate to have broody hens do all the work. Hens can do the job in any condition - even inside unheated coop/run with below zero temperatures

Feel free to jump in any time!
I’m in NW IL so the earliest I’ve had chicks is the end of March. I have a chicken buddy that has raised them this early. She has a brooder set up in her garage. They go out to her coop when fully feathered. No electricity in her coop or they’d be out there from the start.
Thanks, this is my first time brooding outdoors...

I run an extension cord ...its the only way i have electric out there lol...

But my plug isn't far from the coop.

I don’t have chicks at moment but I’ve raised many in garage or coop with my homemade “mama heating pad” (March through early November hatch dates). The last few years I’ve been fortunate to have broody hens do all the work. Hens can do the job in any condition - even inside unheated coop/run with below zero temperatures
I wish I had a broody hen!! Hopes are next time I will...
This will be my single breed coop. So we will be breeding, eating them, and collecting eggs from them...

Fingers crossed I get a few barred rocks that'll wanna raise babies

Eta the comma behind eating. As it reads like we will be eating the eggs and not the birds...eating the eggs is obvious 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
@Hedgeland Farms
Our bantams go broody easily.... and 'broody fever' seems contagious I call them my "useless chickens" because of the little eggs. However, they do a great job with chicks. For big hatches I use a playpen as a brooder and just add a little broody hen. It's funny how she'll sit on a couple eggs and end up with 35 chicks. Luckily chickens can't count and they're happy to adopt whatever peeps - like quail, turkeys, ducklings. I still find it hilarious to watch a serama hen mother a baby poult 3-4 xs her size. :lau

@Hedgeland Farms
Our bantams go broody easily.... and 'broody fever' seems contagious I call them my "useless chickens" because of the little eggs. However, they do a great job with chicks. For big hatches I use a playpen as a brooder and just add a little broody hen. It's funny how she'll sit on a couple eggs and end up with 35 chicks. Luckily chickens can't count and they're happy to adopt whatever peeps - like quail, turkeys, ducklings. I still find it hilarious to watch a serama hen mother a baby poult 3-4 xs her size. :lau
That's so crazy 35 chicks!!!! I don't know how she does it...
I've had 33 total and have lost 6!!!!!
I don't even know what I am doing wrong 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom