Im devastated

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I have a lovely Delaware who is my most favorite chicken out of the whole flock. She is about 12 weeks old and is beautiful. Her legs aren't to thick, from what I can tel she has round saddle feathers, BUT I noticed a pointy nob on the inside of both her legs right above her back toes. Are these spurs coming in? They are not soft at all...very solid and sort of pointy like another toenail growing. I will get pics up soon but it is raining real bad right now

I hope she is NOT a he. I have a EE who is doing the same thing too. I really dont want roos we live in the city and cant keep them

Hens have the spur knobs too and sometimes they can grow spurs too. Post a picture though, and we can confirm sex for you. Side view body shot with the bird standing is the best way to tell.

All chicken develop spur nubs initially. If it is a rooster, they will grow larger as it matures. At this age, though, it doesn't always mean rooster.

all chickens can grow spur bumps. roos will grow as they get older. even some hens will have spurs (sometimes even bigger ones than the roos)

My buttercup - look closely at her leg - she's got some crazy spurs! Excuse her molting.
IMG_4144.jpg

Back
Top Bottom