Im devastated

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moodlymoo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I have a lovely Delaware who is my most favorite chicken out of the whole flock. She is about 12 weeks old and is beautiful. Her legs aren't to thick, from what I can tel she has round saddle feathers, BUT I noticed a pointy nob on the inside of both her legs right above her back toes. Are these spurs coming in? They are not soft at all...very solid and sort of pointy like another toenail growing. I will get pics up soon but it is raining real bad right now

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Some hens get spurs, I understand... Nothing to be devastated about... Unless you think she's a he...

3. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I hope she is NOT a he. I have a EE who is doing the same thing too. I really dont want roos we live in the city and cant keep them

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hens have the spur knobs too and sometimes they can grow spurs too. Post a picture though, and we can confirm sex for you. Side view body shot with the bird standing is the best way to tell.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    All chicken develop spur nubs initially. If it is a rooster, they will grow larger as it matures. At this age, though, it doesn't always mean rooster.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all chickens can grow spur bumps. roos will grow as they get older. even some hens will have spurs (sometimes even bigger ones than the roos)

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My buttercup - look closely at her leg - she's got some crazy spurs! Excuse her molting.
    [​IMG]

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    2 of my Delaware hens had decent spurs. About 1/2 inch long! But rounded on the end, not pointy.

9. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]
    My buttercup hen has the same thing, long, pointy spurs.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:wow look at those spurs!!! lol they put our roos to shame (but ours are not a year yet)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by