I'm frustrated. But am I out of line?

I am a parent of a 14 and 17 year old and I see that you have tried to see his point of view but has he tried to see yours? Even if I am going to say no to my kids I still try to see their point of view. It is my job to hear and understand my children as well as teach them to be good, responsible people. He may own the house but it is your home too, did he object when the chickens were purchased? If they are all getting along and working together to protect your free ranging flock then they should stay. Free ranging can be dangerous, lost 1/2 of my original flock that way. Maybe talk to him some more, show him this thread.
My husband was raised with birds that were food or producers of food, not at all pets. Both him and his father find it funny that this city girl is in love with her feathered babies. all 34 that are mine and the 7 that belong to my 14 year old son. Good luck keeping your boys.

I dont have young adult kid, so I can't advice at that level.
But more importantly, I think both sides should look from practical perspective.

1. I have seen many advice 1 rooster per 10 hens. Going by that you have too many
roosters. If not today, tomorrow they might start fighting among them for
breeding rights.

2. If your town/place is allowed to keep roosters and neighbors aren't complaining,
you can keep enough to fight off dogs and keep hens safe.

3. You know that this battle is not finished. Same question is going to come up
when all your hens reach the age when they no longer produce eggs. I can't
imagine your dad/mom keeping 17 hens around that aren't laying. So, you have
to prepare to the idea that majority of them are either going to into pot
or getting other homes.

4. I don't eat chicken, but I believe animals are domesticated by humans for purpose.
Imagine keeping 21 dogs around. My point is, you may want to warm up the idea
of keep couple of pet chickens around and treat rest as 'utility' birds.

All in all, I think, you should consider option of

a) Give up two roosters
b) Designate couple of selected chicken as your 'pets'
c) Remember, long term, majority of hens are going away too.
d) You can always get new flock to keep your coop occupied,
egg basket full and provide entertainment.

My 2cents. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom