I'm gassing the flock this morning...

ryan820

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Colorado
...sounds awful but it's not as bad as it sounds. You see my sneezy chickens, I believe, have an infection and I have an ultrasonic humidifier going full blast in my coop with a water-oxine mixture pouring out of it. My coop is small and so I have a small ultrasonic in there doing the job. I closed the run door and the egg and vent doors and the mist suspends really well inside the coop.

I hope this works. The birds seem happy and healthy, but it's clear they have something going on in their lungs and nasal passages etc.

Who else gasses their birds with oxine?

Btw, the humidifier was bought at target and looks like a penguin! Lol my birds find it very interesting, which is good because the mist pretty much blasts them.

I, too have some sneezing birds. They have been on some heavy duty meds but still have light sneezes. An improvement but not gone completely. I am curious why you chose this method. I am open for suggestions to get my birds well. Isn't moisture the enemy? Even if it's coming from a penguin?
wink.png
Again, I am pro your idea to help them, just curious as to this method.

Quote:
I'm not sure moisture is bad in a short term situation. The ultrasonic humidifier (UH) puts out an incredibly fine mist...so fine it suspends much of the moisture it creates. It essentially nebulizes the water and oxine. So the birds experience an increase in humidity but only for a half hour or so while the treatment is administered.

I chose this method because of research I've done here on BYC. The oxine apparently has the ability to help the birds get past stubborn infections and sanitizes the coop, too.

Quote:
Got it... I mentioned oxine because apparently it has done really well for people in terms of getting rid of respiratory infections. I'm amazed how many uses oxine has.

Quote:
I got mine from revival...google revival pet, I think is the name. I got it from the amazon.com website but that is who sold it via amazon.

Every night I get home, I turn on the UH. I go get ready to go to bed and that takes about a half hour and then I pull the plug. I then get up with my little one early and plug it back in and make her breakfast and that's about a half hour too. Then I just let them out? I just chose a half hour on a whim. I figure it's plenty of time for the coop, which is quite small, to fill up with the mixture and have the chickens breathing it in. If I don't see improvement in a week, I'll increase the time they get it to an hour. I'll use an auto timer at that point though!

Back
Top Bottom