Impacted crop/egg binding

bjf2154

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
My 5yr old hens has been having issues for 4 days, first notice her not walking well then w research figured that she had a ball of grass in her crop so I have been doing what was suggested online water w acv withheld food also egg w Olive oil,ball in crop is getting much smaller and is still pooping out the grass but very slow process, she still doesn't want to drink on her own,I am also concerned about her being egg bound no egg in 4 days so I decided to give a warm bath and apply Vaseline in vent I figured it couldn't hurt anything, her walking seem to be getting better, she seems perky to be going thru this good color on comb still wanting to preen herself, any suggestions on anything I am missing or could do different?I have just been reading alot on here.

The ACV won't do anything to break up an impaction in a crop. You need quite a bit of oil to help dissolve the mass, at least a teaspoon followed in an hour with another teaspoon. I use solid coconut oil and slip slivers of it into the beak.

After each dose of oil, a gentle massage to the crop helps disperse the oil and help the mass go down. After the second dose of oil, if the mass still refuses to break up, you can give a capsule of a non-stimulant stool softener such as Dulcolax. Let work for an hour and then massage the crop until you feel the mass break up and go down.

Sometimes a yeast condition will develop in an impacted crop. You will know this is happening if the crop won't empty overnight and you feel a very spongy, full crop come morning. Here is an article I wrote on diagnosis and treatment of crop disorders to further assist you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The ACV won't do anything to break up an impaction in a crop. You need quite a bit of oil to help dissolve the mass, at least a teaspoon followed in an hour with another teaspoon. I use solid coconut oil and slip slivers of it into the beak.

After each dose of oil, a gentle massage to the crop helps disperse the oil and help the mass go down. After the second dose of oil, if the mass still refuses to break up, you can give a capsule of a non-stimulant stool softener such as Dulcolax. Let work for an hour and then massage the crop until you feel the mass break up and go down.

Sometimes a yeast condition will develop in an impacted crop. You will know this is happening if the crop won't empty overnight and you feel a very spongy, full crop come morning. Here is an article I wrote on diagnosis and treatment of crop disorders to further assist you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Ok article thank you, she wont take the coconut oil but I am have luck w olive oil

Thank u for the article, I did not know to massage that long, I am trying olive oil and massage she will not tolerate coconut oil i have tried. Can you answer if its normal for them to be unsteady on their feet when this happens to them, this seems to be better today and also do you think I should be concerned w her not laying a egg for days? Thank u so much! :)

The balance problem may or may not be related to the impacted crop. If a chicken hasn't eaten for quite a while as is sometimes the case with impacted crop, it could be the chicken is weak from starvation. If she improves in a few days as the crop returns to normal, you will know it's due to the crop issue. If not, the balance issue may be unrelated and you will need to address that as a separate issue.

Not laying eggs during a period of unwellness, is normal. A hen needs to be a certain weight in relation to her overall size or laying will not occur.

My two year old Golden Comet stopped laying when she got a impacted crop.
She was sluggish because she wasn't getting nourishment and I believe that's why she stopped laying.
I treated her for 2 1/2 days before she was clear and just wanted out of that dog crate.
It took another six days before she began laying again, and a couple of weeks to get back up to six a week. GC

Have done the treatments suggested, she doesnt seem to have impact anymore but she still not drinking on her own and but will eat a little, seems still not right, still have a difficult time standing up but seems ok once she is up, any suggestions?

She may be too weak to eat or drink on her own. You will need to try to syringe some water into her beak and maybe the same with some food. If that doesn't give her enough strength to eat on her own, you may need to start tube feeding her. You can get the tube and syringe at a vet's office. My vet sold me a set for $3.

I find yogurt, soft or hard boiled egg, or even strained baby meats can tempt a weak chicken to eat, and baby food mixed with yogurt is easy to syringe into a sick chicken.

Back
Top Bottom