Impacted crop in a chick 7.5 weeks old.

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
I didn't think it would happen, but it has.

My momma hen was allowed out to free range with her 9 chicks over the last few days. the grass is very long and lush in places and she has been taking them into the long grass a lot.

Yesterday morning I noticed that one of the chicks was not interested in food and was quite floppy. I picked her up to fine a large, squishy crop.I was not really sure whether she was big enough to treat with the 'oil and massage treatment' I used on a large adult hen last year, but given that she was so lethargic thought it was worth a go. I carefully syringed in a small amount of olive oil and massaged her little crop. Then, as she showed no signs of drinking, syringed in 0.2 mls of sugar water every 2 hours. Last night and again this morning, I repeated the olive oil as the crop was still very full this morning.

She seemed brighter, so I went into the compost heap and dug out about 5 little compost worms which she duly ate. A little while later I gave her a few more, then I returned her to momma hen since tis time she has followed momma around and is pecking and eating again.

It seems to have worked.....but I hope she will avoid the long grass now.

Quote:
I have a 12 week old that seems to have a crop problem also. The vet flushed it yesterday and I gave her some food later that day and it is still there. Nothing is moving through. Glad your treatment worked.

Quote:
I have a 12 week old that seems to have a crop problem also. The vet flushed it yesterday and I gave her some food later that day and it is still there. Nothing is moving through. Glad your treatment worked.

Sorry your vet's treatment hasn't worked. From what I'm hearing from others, this can take several days to correct. I messed up and gave mine some food too soon and am starting back over with ACV in water and nothing else for 3 days. I don't even have a vet in my area that will see a chicken and I'm sure it would be very pricey! Hang in there...

Back
Top Bottom