Impacted crop

I wonder if she has a blockage that just can't be resolved without intervention.
Crop surgery would be the last resort of course.
Some folks do their own at home, but I'm not sure if you are to this point yet.

I'm going to tag @azygous Hopefully she can chime in and give some insight on something I have missed. Another set of eyes is always welcome that's for sure.
Unfortunately I think we are almost to that point. We have watched videos and my husband is considering it. She’s not weak by any means she still fights when I try to give her medicine but she just has no interest in food. She didn’t want to drink any this morning but was able to get some fluids in her.

She’s still pooping. Her crop is a doughy consistency now. I think the yeast is what is bothering her the most. Any time she moves it wants to drop out of her beak. She’s had a full day of monistate again so tonight will be starting day 2.

I’m really at a loss and don’t know what else to try. I’m still doing coconut oil daily with the massages.

What drops out of her beak - water?
So the crop is still staying somewhat fluid filled too?
Sorry, just trying to clarify.

If you are considering crop surgery, then Carol is the right lady to chime in. She's got a list and can walk you through it.
It may take her a little while to respond, so hang in there.

Yes fluids started to drop out of her beak last night. It’s a thick liquid. When I massage her crop it doesn’t really feel water filled. It does not have the water ballon feeling. Just more of a mailable clay. Before she started with the sour crop again I was able to feel a ball of something and was working on trying to get that broke up. Night before last she pooped out a feather and a piece of grass so I felt like we were making progress then this started.

She’s still pooping a decent amount. I’m going to stop on the way home from work and pick up some baby food just to see if I can get something in her.

Yes fluids started to drop out of her beak last night. It’s a thick liquid. When I massage her crop it doesn’t really feel water filled. It does not have the water ballon feeling. Just more of a mailable clay. Before she started with the sour crop again I was able to feel a ball of something and was working on trying to get that broke up. Night before last she pooped out a feather and a piece of grass so I felt like we were making progress then this started.

She’s still pooping a decent amount. I’m going to stop on the way home from work and pick up some baby food just to see if I can get something in her.
The fluids coming out of her beak is basically overflow from the fluids in her crop. Since chickens do not vomit the liquid just comes out.

It this point, you really have nothing much to lose by trying the crop surgery. It's relatively safe when all the steps are carefully followed. Be sure to have all the supplies listed before you start.

It does sound like a blockage and the crop is in stasis now, the contents fermenting. She will eventually die of starvation without intervention. Have you been giving her grit throughout your treatment so far? Some folks forget all about providing grit during the time they have the chicken confined. I would try grit, and then surgery if the grit doesn't work.

Supplies to assemble for crop surgery:

A helper
Vetericyn wound spray
Betadine or alcohol
Saline wound flush
Sharp, sterilized cutting tool such as a one-sided razor blade or Xacto knife.
Sterile gauze
Tube of super glue gel
Latex gloves
Bath towel
Scissors to cut away feathers from incision site

Surgery:
-Wrap hen securely in a bath towel confining wings and feet, but leaving the crop exposed. No anesthesia is required. No pain meds.
-Have your helper hold the hen on her back on a hard surface or table.
-Locate the spot where the lump is most concentrated.
-Trim her feathers away so just skin is exposed.
-Prep the site with Betadine or alcohol to remove external bacteria.

Make a one inch incision in the skin. Do not cut any deeper than the outer layer. This will expose the crop sack.

Next, cut a one-inch opening into the crop sack, slightly offset to the outer cut. This is very important. You should be able to see the obstruction, grass or maybe something else that shouldn't be in there.

Putting slight pressure on the crop, push the obstruction toward the opening and pull it out. Continue until you can't get anything else out of it.

Irrigate the inside of the crop with a generous amount of saline until the saline comes out clean.

Dry the incisions by patting with sterile gauze. First apply super glue to the edges of the inner incision. Stretch the incision and hold the tissue together until it bonds, about one minute. If it doesn't hold, apply more glue and continue to hold it until it bonds.

Glue the outer incision as you just did the inner one. Spray the incision liberally with Vetericyn. This promotes the tissue to grow together and heal. Do this twice a day for the next two days.

Feed only soft food such as yogurt, soft boiled egg, apple sauce, or gruel made from mixing water into her feed until it's soupy for the week following surgery. Give her a dose of Nutri-drench each day for five days plus continuing the miconazole for seven days.

It this point, you really have nothing much to lose by trying the crop surgery. It's relatively safe when all the steps are carefully followed. Be sure to have all the supplies listed before you start.

It does sound like a blockage and the crop is in stasis now, the contents fermenting. She will eventually die of starvation without intervention. Have you been giving her grit throughout your treatment so far? Some folks forget all about providing grit during the time they have the chicken confined. I would try grit, and then surgery if the grit doesn't work.

A helper
Vetericyn wound spray
Betadine or alcohol
Saline wound flush
Sterile gauze
Tube of super glue gel
Latex gloves
Bath towel

Surgery:
-Wrap hen securely in a bath towel confining wings and feet, but leaving the crop exposed. No anesthesia is required. No pain meds.

Make a one inch incision in the skin. Do not cut any deeper than the outer layer. This will expose the crop sack.

Next, cut a one-inch opening into the crop sack, slightly offset to the outer cut. This is very important. You should be able to see the obstruction, grass or maybe something else that shouldn't be in there.

Putting slight pressure on the crop, push the obstruction toward the opening and pull it out. Continue until you can't get anything else out of it.

Irrigate the inside of the crop with a generous amount of saline until the saline comes out clean.

Dry the incisions by patting with sterile gauze. First apply super glue to the edges of the inner incision. Stretch the incision and hold the tissue together until it bonds, about one minute. If it doesn't hold, apply more glue and continue to hold it until it bonds.

Glue the outer incision as you just did the inner one. Spray the incision liberally with Vetericyn. This promotes the tissue to grow together and heal. Do this twice a day for the next two days.

Feed only soft food such as yogurt, soft boiled egg, apple sauce, or gruel made from mixing water into her feed until it's soupy for the week following surgery. Give her a dose of Nutri-drench each day for five days plus continuing the miconazole for seven days.
Thank you so much for this! I think we are going to try to do this.

I really thank everyone for trying to help me out with her.

A helper
Vetericyn wound spray
Betadine or alcohol
Saline wound flush
Sterile gauze
Tube of super glue gel
Latex gloves
Bath towel

Surgery:

I apologize I neglected to answer your question. I have been providing grit. She ate some early on but hasn’t touched it in some time.

Back
Top Bottom