Impacted crop

thejaxx

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2014
Tukwila, WA
I had a cermani go missing about a month ago and figured raccoons had got her. Was a bit upset, but that’s what happens sometimes. I had come home from work to the gate of the coop opened. I know it was the kid down the hill from me, he’s been known to take my eggs occasionally. Don’t really care as I have more than enough.

Anyways, she showed up tonight, looking worse for the wear. Her crop is impacted, and not just a little. It’s to the point the skin seems to have split a bit and when I called one of only two avian vets in the area, they said $1000+ for surgery.

Not sure if I should attempt the removal myself (which in her state, not sure if it would help) or do the humane thing.

You could try feeding her little pieces of chilled coconut oil which often helps to get things moving again.

When doing the crop surgery yourself, be careful not to cut the vein that crosses the underside of the crop and glue or stitch the crop separately, so that the suture of the outer skin is not connected to the one of the crop.

Good luck to you and your hen!

*Update*

After getting her over to the neighbors and being able to get a closer look, it was decided to euthanize her. She had three splits, one where the compaction had ruptured through and a few maggots. She was very warm, labored breathing, and did not smell good.

Thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom