Impacted crop .....

Ok will give that a try! She's about 1.5 years old, I've been out this morning and her crop is squishy again, massaged it, give her some olive oil, baking soda will keep an close eye on her today, will keep trying everything I can.
I think my hen has an impacted crop after reading this thread. How did you give her olive oil? Did you put baking soda in her water?

Hello, I put oil in a little tray and he drinks it, also recommend soakin pellets in oil and water and giving them to her only in small amounts, I've upped her baking soda intake I've put two table spoons in half a gal of water, this really seems to work, I also have her a warm bath yesterday to try and loosen some of the food she has stuck, along with live mealworms. My hens crop feels squishy and grainy like layers pellets so I massage her crop, however last time it was hay which I can mould into any shape so she had to have crop surgery which the vet removed a lot of impacted hay! My hen is still pooping, drinking and laying eggs so I'll just keep going. Hope this helps

Hay just an update, after her warm bath, massage and live meal worms yesterday I am pleased to say that her crop has reduced dramatically, it's still very soft but only a tiny bit of food remains in there! She obviously pooped a lot during the night judging by the state of her perch this
Morning!
1f604.png

Hay just an update, after her warm bath, massage and live meal worms yesterday I am pleased to say that her crop has reduced dramatically, it's still very soft but only a tiny bit of food remains in there! She obviously pooped a lot during the night judging by the state of her perch this
Morning!
1f604.png
Thats great news. :)

i forgot to mention with sour crop I have given garlic to my hen. She would eat it out if my hand. Deworm your hen as well with Safeguard. Worms can slow the crop down too. Other things can be tumors, Mareks disease, reproductive issues, and probably other things.

My last round with crop issues with one of my hen ate the straw few months back, we had switched the bedding to pine shavings. They eat that too, however, probably better that then the hay and straw. She had also went sour with an impaction. We had to remove her impaction as well, lots of straw. She still was soured so I treated her with Fluconozol ( antifugal drug). That worked great. Last year it was a battle with the same hen with the impaction went sour. Wish I tried the Fluconozole than. I did vomit her. I found this last episode I couldn't because of the impaction. When I discovered her she was so bloated, I thought initally it was sour, stunk so bad when I tried to vomit her, not much was coming out. I gave her the baking soda and it reduced the swelling and revealed the impaction. :( . Last year it took a month to get her through this. Its stressful.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feeding information. I did start by giving her scrambled egg and yogurt. She tolerated that so moved to chick starter that I moistened. Then added some chick grit. She is now on full grain and thriving. Moving back to the coop tonight. The other hen is not so well, have her on homeopathic meds from my (homeopathic) vet. So far the hen is eating yogurt and cantelope. Her case was much more advanced than the other hen's but she is still active and does not seem in discomfort.

Glad your hen is doing well, & yes it's taking a while to shift this one, she's the only one we've had trouble with with her crop (touch wood) I'll try the garlic, she's still a little swollen but keep giving her little bits of soaked pellets, scrambled eggs, etc just to keep her going. I didn't want to vomit her as I've heard bad things about it. I'll keep you all posted
1f604.png

Glad your hen is doing well, & yes it's taking a while to shift this one, she's the only one we've had trouble with with her crop (touch wood) I'll try the garlic, she's still a little swollen but keep giving her little bits of soaked pellets, scrambled eggs, etc just to keep her going. I didn't want to vomit her as I've heard bad things about it. I'll keep you all posted
1f604.png
Definitely no vomiting especially if they are given olive oil.

It sounds like she improving. Hopefully you will have a flat crop in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Thank you for the feeding information. I did start by giving her scrambled egg and yogurt. She tolerated that so moved to chick starter that I moistened. Then added some chick grit. She is now on full grain and thriving. Moving back to the coop tonight. The other hen is not so well, have her on homeopathic meds from my (homeopathic) vet. So far the hen is eating yogurt and cantelope. Her case was much more advanced than the other hen's but she is still active and does not seem in discomfort.
Maybe tube feed her, they can dehydrate so fast. Is she on antibiotics?

Still swollen, feels watery however she's pooing, eating, running about & laying eggs. Could she just have a pendulous crop? As i assume after surgery that the crop muscle is not as strong as it used to be! Anyone else had this?
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom