Impending 24hr power outage. Help fam!

Jonas Fox

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
Southern California
Hello friends,

There's going to be a scheduled power outage in my area for 24 hours. This is going to happen around the time my chicks are 5 days old. Any ideas on what to do to keep them warm? Do I need to call off work and let them sit on me with blankets? lol

Thanks for any insights and ideas. I'm worried about my four lil floofs!

What about the hand warmers that they sell to put in your gloves for out door use (or other such things that provide heat for injuries)? Will you be able to use your stove? If so, you could heat water and use a hot water bottle. If you get a portable battery unit that you can plug things into, that would power the brooder heat lamp.

What about the hand warmers that they sell to put in your gloves for outdoor use (or other such things that provide heat for injuries)? Will you be able to use your stove? If so, you could heat water and use a hot water bottle. If you get a portable battery unit that you can plug things into, that would power the brooder heat lamp.
I was thinking something similar. Get a box of hand warmers and pile em up. Maybe I can get some in bulk for cheap or cheep :p That or I was thinking I can boil some rocks on my gas stove and use those to retain heat in some sort of sack, then make it into a nest.

Do you have any kerosene lanterns. I've used them before when I've lost power for a few days. It's also what farmers used to heat their brooders with before electricity was available in rural areas. Yeah, fire hazard but with a careful setup and watch, should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom