Imposter Golden 300?

haoisms

Hatching
Sep 18, 2022
Sorry if I've miscategorized or improperly formatted/titled this. First time poster! 😅

Hello! I picked up a few ducklings in mid-may. They were advertised as (and appeared to be) golden 300s. I was pretty sure I had females after their feathers started coming in!

Recently, one started turning white-ish and growing green feathers on her head. Well, she's not female as far as i know 😂 but i'm very confused about whether he's actually a golden 300 or not! All of the pictures I see of male golden 300s show blacks and browns, but I didn't see any green heads!

Sorry if I've miscategorized or improperly formatted/titled this. First time poster! 😅

Hello! I picked up a few ducklings in mid-may. They were advertised as (and appeared to be) golden 300s. I was pretty sure I had females after their feathers started coming in!

Recently, one started turning white-ish and growing green feathers on her head. Well, she's not female as far as i know 😂 but i'm very confused about whether he's actually a golden 300 or not! All of the pictures I see of male golden 300s show blacks and browns, but I didn't see any green heads!

The green appearance is the light reflecting off of (technically interacting) the stacked melanosomes pigments in the feathers. This happens with darker colors in particular because of the higher melanin content. Drake's have darker heads (the darker the color the more melanin) so unless the Drake's head is a lighter color it will appear to have a green tint because of the reflective light. Long story short, golden 300 Drake's will often have a green sheen to their heads because of their darker coloration.

The green appearance is the light reflecting off of (technically interacting) the stacked melanosomes pigments in the feathers. This happens with darker colors in particular because of the higher melanin content. Drake's have darker heads (the darker the color the more melanin) so unless the Drake's head is a lighter color it will appear to have a green tint because of the reflective light. Long story short, golden 300 Drake's will often have a green sheen to their heads because of their darker coloration.
Good to know! Thank you so much!

Golden 300s are not a breed but a hybrid or cross of different ducks. I think the 300 might refer to them being a 3 way cross. My best guess is that it is cross of a Khaki Campbell drake with hens who are half Silver Appleyard and 1/2 black Swedish or Pekin. This would be sex-linked making brownish female ducklings and blackish male ducklings. Anyway, you could end up with. Khaki Campbell looking drake, especially in the second generation, which it sounds like you might have. The second generation would also not be sex-linked.

Back
Top Bottom