Improving your flock!

Yep, I agree Dave. I know lots of people here are more worried about what to treat their birds, than providing a complete, balanced diet for them. There are many issues with feed requirements, depending on breed, age, and sex. The big mistake I see a lot of people make is feeding layer pellets to all their birds, including immature ones, and roosters. This is not a good diet for your entire flock. You would be much better off to feed a standard pellet, and provide oyster shells for your laying hens, than to feed them entirely layer pellets. The extra calcium can be bad for the other birds. Anyone else?

That's what I'm doing now... since we decided to keep the rooster, and have just turned loose some newbies, I decided it was time to switch to just regular pellets. I see the hens in the oyster shells regularly, and I dry out their egg shells on the wood stove to crush and give back to them. Seems to work pretty well.

A long time ago I de-wormed our dog with ground black walnut hulls... just opened a capsule or two and mixed into some wet food for them. Worked like a charm. I wonder if that's ok for chickens, too?
hmm.png

Boy, that would be great if the black walnut shells work. I have a ton of them.

So, my little ones are on the chick starter, do I switch to standard pellets and then to a layer feed? I believe they are all pullets (stay tuned).

That is a wonderful question Ms. ak
I need to check on that one right away! I had never heard of the walnut shell before!

ChickenGurl,
Yes Yes Yes and Yes!!!
I couldn't find a flea in my yard to save my life!!! well maybe one or two. lol
The herbs act as a repellent and the DE wreaks havoc on the few poor parasites that do make it in! I mix the herbs into the feed and spread them around in the dusting areas along with the DE.
Works Wonders!!
Fleas, ticks, mites, ants, spiders, and all manner of poultry pest are very easy to remove from the premises using all natural methods! No chemicals at all! Try hedge apples for spider problems and a little Mugwart will go a long way in preventing fly infestations as well as thwarting many other pests. But be careful with the Mugwart. It seems to attract scorpions.

Hope this helps a bit,
Dave

We have B-52 bombers for skeetos here, but the birds all ate them. We have one of those "mosquito magnets" which works pretty well for the most part. Can't possibly get 'em all, though!
wink.png

I can't imagine that the black walnut hulls would hurt the birds, if a human/dog can take them. Just cleans out the gut!
lol.png

haha! I've seen the babies go after them, but not the adults. I don't have enough babies around here to keep up!
tongue.png

Can't you render iodine from black walnut hulls? Or is it another nut... ?

The Skeeters are another story entirely! lol

The magnets work well. In conjunction with, or in place of the magnets, you could put bug zappers in the yards and or coops. this not only keeps the populations down, but offers a tasty treat, fresh cooked for your fowl.

There are plants that have some repellent properties but for the most part they do not really keep the buggers away unless topically applied, and even then they are not as potent as some might expect though they can certainly bring you, and possibly your poultry, some relief.
Here are a few plants that can provide some degree of relief.
http://www.gomestic.com/Gardening/Five-Plants-That-Repel-Mosquitoes.34525

Even better than a plant that repels mosquitoes is a plant that prevents their reproduction! These are plants that grow on the water's surface and grow so thickly that the mosquitoes are often either unable to reach the water's surface to lay their evil little eggs or are unable to emerge into the open air. The Bladderwort will form a thick mat and even "eats" the larvae. There are of course others but I just can't remember the names right now.

You can do a search for such plants if you wish. They don't really grow that fast so it would be some time before the water plants become thick enough to be effective, but in the long term, if you live near the source, it would likely be a wise investment. Check with local regulations governing the introduction of aquatic plants.

Hope this helps,
Dave

I live near a river bottom, and the skeeters are horrible in the summer, but my chickens go after them, even the adults. Still not enough though. I do have bat houses to help out though.

Back
Top Bottom