In a Panic over Heat Lamp Fires...

Quote:
yes they can
smile.png

and coturnix love to sleep like the dead... literally! they settle in... then slowly tip over then stretch out... soon you look in the brooder and see all the babies on their side with feet sticking out looking like its dead. scared me the first few times. Now I just check on them once in awhile by tapping the brooder to wake them all up at same time.

I agree with Rainwolf. Because you've had them under a 250watt, I would cover some open areas, and use a 100watt. See how they react to that. If they seem fine. Bump it down to a 75 for a few days. then a 40. Then nothing.

also, you mentioned them not having shavings. If you are worried about them being cold, I would give them an area with shavings or hay to huddle up in at night. Even if they got "cold", they should be able to survive that way.

oh and I would use a ceramic socket light... you want to make sure it is rated for highest wattage you will place in the lamp. The ceramic handles things better since most lamp sockets/cords were not ment to be on 24/7

Just put a smaller light bulb in the lamp then hang it by the little flap. On nights that I won't be there to thaw out the water in the morning I put a heat lamp hanging down towards the wire to keep the water tray thawed out. Not much of a fire hazard because all it is hitting is a load of crap and partialy touching the metal waterer.

Nella - do they poop in their shavings though? Should I be changing those out frequently?

The heat lamp is rated for 650w so Im okay there - and it's ceremic base.
The birds are roughtly 5wks

Back
Top Bottom