In demand chicken breeds

I am new to chickens. Got a first batch of buff orpingtons and barred rock; 8weeks old now. Then I needed more to replace some barred rocks that passed so I went with some Easter eggers because they were a little older at tractor supply and I wanted to bypass the tiny stage. My EEs are not as friendly, almost wild still. 😔 And I got paranoid that they’d mostly be male (as well as most my orpingtons) so I got seven more and all they had in stock was barred rock, new shipment. So far I love my orpingtons. I really wish I had more. They learned to trust me better than the rest, they also learned to drink from a bottle better than my new batch of barred rocks. All my little barred rocks are a week old or so but they’re so scared still. I hope that changes! I’m about to ask my friends if they have any young orpingtons they want to trade. I love mine so much! ...and now I need a bigger chicken coop. 😆

This is our second year with chickens. I have 4 silkies, and 6 polish girls. Then there’s the ones that not sure what they are. 4 TS ladies, 3 auction ladies, 2 gifted survivors from a friends flock, and 1 home grown (fertilized egg from a friends flock. No Roos here). Oh my that’s only 21 I was sure we had 22. And this all started with 1 chicken that stopped by and stayed for 3 months. We get up to 12 eggs a day, Silkies and 4 polish hens will start laying anytime now. Love my girls. Chicken TV best entertainment.

My flock in MA includes Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, a Easter Egger, and a Rhode Island Red. I've had New Hampshire Reds as well.
My Easter Egger looks just like yours! Since they all turn out differently it seemed worth mentioning.

Attachments

• 99447823-54A2-461A-9287-825D12757EA7.jpeg
    99447823-54A2-461A-9287-825D12757EA7.jpeg
    637.9 KB · Views: 7
I like a good mix and go for looks more than anything. I don’t have two of any breed except easter eggers. Right now I have a Silver Wyandotte, Buff Orp, Welsummer, and 2 easter eggers. They are all super sweet but one of my easter eggers is obsessed with getting attention and hops on my lap to snuggle any time I sit down. She’d be a house chicken if I let her. My Welsummer pecks my legs hard but just wants to be picked up. Once I pick her up she relaxes and could be held for hours. On Wed. I’ll pick up new chicks- two more EEs and a Light Brahma from the feed store.

I've ordered Barnevelder (This is a Dutch breed. I've got some Dutch heritage, plus my grandparents last name was VELD, so of course, this breed seemed a rather obvious choice!), Cream Legbar and a Lavender Orpington chicks - hoping they survive the journey - they should be here on Tuesday/Wednesday!:wee
Try Lakenvelders then. We love ours. She thinks she’s a roo and guards everyone. She’s also super inquisitive.

I'm not real big on ISA Browns. They are great egg producers, but are designed for commercial production and burn out after two years. And like most things that are bred for short-term commercial production, they have had a lot of the robustness of heritage breeds bred out of them. But that's my opinion and may not always be the case. In fact the worst chickens I ever had were Delawares (a heritage breed), they never thrived. Yet the other breeds of the same order did great. So I'm pretty sure it was just the Delawares or that particular batch from that hatchery that year. But because of that experience, I doubt I'll ever get Delawares again. I like blue Andalusians, but when I ordered a batch half of them were DOA. I got my money back and the remaining ones did great, but still. I doubt if I'll order blue Andalusians again either. But when I'm ready for new chicks, I would like to try sapphire gems. They look like Andalusians (no surprise since they are a hybrid), but the beauty of them is is that you'll get all blue ones and not a mixture of splashed and black ones, which I don't think are as pretty as the blue ones.

Docpetey that was sadness that you can only have 5 😢. Don't want anyone to put a number on my chicken addiction. My coop tries sometimes and I say oh no no I can add on to you! 😄
As for recommended breed I think you can see that everyone has their own personal preference. You have to try the ones that call to you for whatever reason and then make up your mind on your own. I think buff orpingtons are one of the most beautiful but honestly most of mine have not been as docile as they say, i still make room in my flock for them though. Got quite a few EE because everyone loves them and I wanted blue eggs and I do like the blue eggs but dont like the look of the bird at all. I have quite a few in my flock that I may try to give to my sister to make room for more that I will really enjoy. Australorps are beautiful gentle birds and Welsummers are one of my favorites as well. Personal preference is the name of the game.

Back
Top Bottom