In need of someone to talk to... I need advice.

Asking for help is difficult as it can mean you are no longer in ultimate control of what happens around you. Letting go of the old you is difficult as you are comfortable with the person you are-despite the flaws.

Accepting help is sorta like stepping in the ocean for the first time. At first the water seems cold and uncomfortable. You want get out but you persist and soon the water does not seem as cold so you step on in. As you continue, the waves push at you but you persist. You continue walking and soon the water is even more comfortable. You began to move more freely as you understand the power of the water. And when you gain confidence you may try to swim. Or you may decide to go back to shore. The decision is yours. Always remember the decision is yours. And you are not alone in needing help. Don't feel bad because you need help. We all do and you were brave enough to ask for help. You took your first step and being afraid is perfectly normal. Just like a person going into surgery-not many people like the though of going under anesthesia-you are worried.

Takes guts to ask for help. You are strong. You can do this.

In reply to all the posts:
I know it can take a while to work things out, but I just find it hard to even talk to anyone only a few select people.
Tomorrow I have a appointment at the same place but its a Drs review for my medications as I'm on the max amount for what I take, plus another medication that is very addictive.

I have gone through a lot of traumatic things and one of them the same thing twice... So for me it feels like it's even longer...

The lady I saw, I told her about my messed up dreams and how I have self harmed in my sleep totally unaware of it until I wake up or a few days later she thought I was full of s**t even though I have scars and all..
I don't know I just have a feeling I don't like her she didn't even offer me tissues or anything when I broke down and wasn't really nice about anything I said and always tried to cut me off when I was speaking..

This Tuesday I have an appointment at a different place so maybe that will be a bit better.
It has taken me a few days to be okay again and be happy.
I know I can't get help unless I keep trying and I think I'm going to give it another shot I feel I can do this it's my barriers that I have up to stop myself from getting hurt again that I have to let down.

I am glad to hear you are going back and not giving up. That first visit sounds horrible.
I am also hoping that you find the right therapist and things get better for you.
The wonderful people here on BYC are very supportive and all hope to see you do well.
Stay strong and I wish you nothing but the best!

AWESOME!!!!!
hugs.gif

I'm so glad you found a better therapist!

Being honest is one thing but pressuring a young new patient into reliving an obvious trauma is just not cool.... So sorry that your therapist seems that way to you. I've been a councilor for a long time and I'm 53. What your describing is called PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's flashbacks of bad memories that will not go away. It's of course only my opinion, I believe you need to feel safe first with whoever you speak to, Then you know, you can speak freely and not need to be defensive. Have they suggested medication? There are "seratonin reuptake inhibitors", like Zoloft or Paxil. They come in generic form and are relatively cheap. The meds take about a week to even out your temper and once your "edginess" is gone you'll feel much better. You can then go shopping for a councilor that will more meet your needs. Any good regular Doctor can give you a script for these meds if you ask for them. Say you have anxiety and can't seem to control it and you need something to help you do that.... There are also non med and non invasive ways of doing this called "neuro therapy" that have shown excellent results.

A warning though: are you younger than 18? There are different meds for younger patients. If you have a "family doctor" he can help too and take into consideration your age and any other meds you take for possible bad interactions.

I worked with PTST patients using Equine Therapy for military folks, law enforcement and their families for over 20yrs before retiring to have my twins.....

I wish you the best, if your asking for help that is the first step in getting the help you need! If you need to touch on anything again and get more info on any of this I'd be happy to at least advise you online at my personal email. For your privacy.

Take care and keep trying and Don't Give Up!!! Anxiety and Depression are Controllable!!! You Can Do IT!!!
frow.gif
Susie Q [email protected]

Being honest is one thing but pressuring a young new patient into reliving an obvious trauma is just not cool.... So sorry that your therapist seems that way to you. I've been a councilor for a long time and I'm 53. What your describing is called PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's flashbacks of bad memories that will not go away. It's of course only my opinion, I believe you need to feel safe first with whoever you speak to, Then you know, you can speak freely and not need to be defensive. Have they suggested medication? There are "seratonin reuptake inhibitors", like Zoloft or Paxil. They come in generic form and are relatively cheap. The meds take about a week to even out your temper and once your "edginess" is gone you'll feel much better. You can then go shopping for a councilor that will more meet your needs. Any good regular Doctor can give you a script for these meds if you ask for them. Say you have anxiety and can't seem to control it and you need something to help you do that.... There are also non med and non invasive ways of doing this called "neuro therapy" that have shown excellent results.

A warning though: are you younger than 18? There are different meds for younger patients. If you have a "family doctor" he can help too and take into consideration your age and any other meds you take for possible bad interactions.

I worked with PTST patients using Equine Therapy for military folks, law enforcement and their families for over 20yrs before retiring to have my twins.....

I wish you the best, if your asking for help that is the first step in getting the help you need! If you need to touch on anything again and get more info on any of this I'd be happy to at least advise you online at my personal email. For your privacy.

Take care and keep trying and Don't Give Up!!! Anxiety and Depression are Controllable!!! You Can Do IT!!!
frow.gif
Susie Q [email protected]

I am not under 18 and I had been put on Zoloft once before and it made me even worse.
Thank you I might email soon :) I think it will also help.

Okay so I went to a new therapist.. Wow it was the best thing ever!
I actually felt better and has given me tips to do to control my anxiety and depression, I can't wait for the next appointment in 2 weeks time
It is great to hear that you were able to find someone you feel comfortable with! Don't be surprised if you still end up triggered by the course of an appointment and remember that self care is incredibly important.

This past summer I went through a hard time and my work and personal relationships were the first to suffer. I was very reluctant to seek help or therapy and my first few attempts were similar to your first appointment. Eventually I found a great therapist and, although it is slow going, I finally feel like progress is being made. My appointments are often hard and trigger unpleasant memories, but now I am able to trust my therapist to help me through them. I also make a point after those appointments to engage in my self care activities like knitting, yoga, taking a long walk or a bath.

Have faith in yourself! It is a long road, but you already did the hardest thing - seeking help.

It is great to hear that you were able to find someone you feel comfortable with! Don't be surprised if you still end up triggered by the course of an appointment and remember that self care is incredibly important.

This past summer I went through a hard time and my work and personal relationships were the first to suffer. I was very reluctant to seek help or therapy and my first few attempts were similar to your first appointment. Eventually I found a great therapist and, although it is slow going, I finally feel like progress is being made. My appointments are often hard and trigger unpleasant memories, but now I am able to trust my therapist to help me through them. I also make a point after those appointments to engage in my self care activities like knitting, yoga, taking a long walk or a bath.

Have faith in yourself! It is a long road, but you already did the hardest thing - seeking help.

Yes I will admit it has been hard and I have my hobbies that I do, jewelry making and scrap booking, I also took a little holiday for the last 2 weeks to reward myself with how far I have come already.

How are you

doing, we haven't heard a peep in a while? Here in North Carolina we have just had big snow and freezing rain and are doing the third day out of school. It's a really big deal for our area since we're considered south east. Being south of Washington DC, not many of our states see snow but when we do we get whammed big time. Does it snow a lot there? Here's a photo of my poor ponies trying to stay warm around the hay bale.. Susie Q

Back
Top Bottom