In need of someone to talk to... I need advice.

Christie Loves Silkies

Songster
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
Centeral Victoria, Australia
I haven't ever posted on this part of the forum I haven't posted on BYC for a while either.
I'm in need of advice from someone or something.

Tomorrow I have an appointment like a therapy thing, because of my depression and anxiety, and I'm actually worried about it, I've been told its an assessment and it goes for 2-3 hrs :/ I don't know what to think of it I've never been to anything like this before.
I'm worried about the kinds of questions they are going to ask and I know deep down I feel like it's going to bring back bad memories of everything.

I know they are there to "try" and help me but I just don't know, I know I want help and I want to be better but I'm just scared that they are going to trigger something in my mind and I'm not going to be okay.

Any advice ASAP would be wonderful or someone just to talk to would be great.

Thanks in advance, Christie.

Asking for help is difficult as it can mean you are no longer in ultimate control of what happens around you. Letting go of the old you is difficult as you are comfortable with the person you are-despite the flaws.

Accepting help is sorta like stepping in the ocean for the first time. At first the water seems cold and uncomfortable. You want get out but you persist and soon the water does not seem as cold so you step on in. As you continue, the waves push at you but you persist. You continue walking and soon the water is even more comfortable. You began to move more freely as you understand the power of the water. And when you gain confidence you may try to swim. Or you may decide to go back to shore. The decision is yours. Always remember the decision is yours. And you are not alone in needing help. Don't feel bad because you need help. We all do and you were brave enough to ask for help. You took your first step and being afraid is perfectly normal. Just like a person going into surgery-not many people like the though of going under anesthesia-you are worried.

Takes guts to ask for help. You are strong. You can do this.

Go with your gut!

Truly, if they are asking questions and you don't want to venture into that realm of discussion, you have the power to tell them that you don't care to discuss that part of your life.

They may be able to help you with other aspects of your life though. So it may be helpful to talk about some things but not others.

I know I wouldn't want to talk about every single bad thing that has ever happened to me, but it may be helpful to talk about what I am working on right now, for example.

You can say no- that is not something I need to dredge up!!! But I am assuming that we are talking about something that you don't need help with...that you just don't care to bring up certain past events that you don't even need help dealing with.

I worked in my college's counseling center throughout my years in undergrad, so I have a good idea of what goes on during appointments. I went a few times when I was stressed out during finals and found it to be a very valuable resource.

The first appointment is just an intake appointment. It shouldn't take hours, probably more like an hour or so. They just get you to fill out a bunch of paperwork and then the therapist may ask some general questions about your concerns and what your goal in therapy is. They will also explain to you how they do things and what to expect. You won't have to divulge any really personal information at this session and probably not for the first few sessions until you feel comfortable with the counselor.

Try not to be too worried about the first appointment. Most people are and end up walking out thinking it wasn't so bad. My best advice is that if you don't feel like you click with this counselor, you can always switch to another.

If you have other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. As I mentioned, I worked for four and half years in the school counseling center and have done many years in emergency medical and transport services, so I am quite familiar with the mental health field.

Last edited:
Go with your gut!

Truly, if they are asking questions and you don't want to venture into that realm of discussion, you have the power to tell them that you don't care to discuss that part of your life.

They may be able to help you with other aspects of your life though. So it may be helpful to talk about some things but not others.

I know I wouldn't want to talk about every single bad thing that has ever happened to me, but it may be helpful to talk about what I am working on right now, for example.

You can say no- that is not something I need to dredge up!!! But I am assuming that we are talking about something that you don't need help with...that you just don't care to bring up certain past events that you don't even need help dealing with.

I totally agree, but when I've spoken to some of the things that have happened to my partner I have gone so down hill, I've thought of some really horrid stuff.
I think I am scared of changing back to how I use to be, witch wasn't very pleasant at all.
I know that I can say no, but if the person is going to keep pushing and pushing me for an answer I will turn very angry and try and hurt them, I have problems speaking to people as is ( because of my disability) and I know from previous experiences when I get asked questions I know what I want to say but my brain shuts down and I go into defensive mode, and then I break down...

The lady I spoke to on the phone was so pushy when she was asking me questions about my life over the phone I felt so intruded. I told her I do not wish to answer this question and she just kept pushing and pushing and I got so close to abusing her,

The doctor I actually saw Friday about my medication was lovely and she has set all of this up for me, because she wants to try and help me and figure out what to do because she doesn't know, she did a mental health question sheet to see if I need to speak to someone/get help, and i scored pretty high on it (40/50). she prescribed me another medication on top of my anti depressants and I don't know if it's helping or not even though its only been a few days on this.

I want help and I don't want to be like this at all it's really messing up my relationship with my partner, its stopping me from getting a job and everything else.

I worked in my college's counseling center throughout my years in undergrad, so I have a good idea of what goes on during appointments. I went a few times when I was stressed out during finals and found it to be a very valuable resource.

The first appointment is just an intake appointment. It shouldn't take hours, probably more like an hour or so. They just get you to fill out a bunch of paperwork and then the therapist may ask some general questions about your concerns and what your goal in therapy is. They will also explain to you how they do things and what to expect. You won't have to divulge any really personal information at this session and probably not for the first few sessions until you feel comfortable with the counselor.

Try not to be too worried about the first appointment. Most people are and end up walking out thinking it wasn't so bad. My best advice is that if you don't feel like you click with this counselor, you can always switch to another.

If you have other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. As I mentioned, I worked for four and half years in the school counseling center and have done many years in emergency medical and transport services, so I am quite familiar with the mental health field.

Thank you so much I'm starting to feel a bit better about it, I will most likely talk to you again.
I came on here to post because I know that someone would be able to talk to me about it, and me being only young I just get so worked up and only think of the bad stuff that could happen.

I hope you find the help you need. you can open up little by little let them know when you don't feel comfortable on certain topics, but mental health treatment is like the problems them selves, it's like an onion you have to take it layer by layer....
Yeah, I went to the appointment.. And well the lady forced things out of me that I said no I do not wish to answer it, and I ended up breaking down and now I have all these horrid memories coming back and I seriously wish I didn't go... I only just started to be good with what happened... And now I don't even know if I am okay.

Yeah, I went to the appointment.. And well the lady forced things out of me that I said no I do not wish to answer it, and I ended up breaking down and now I have all these horrid memories coming back and I seriously wish I didn't go... I only just started to be good with what happened... And now I don't even know if I am okay.

The first time isn't certainly the best as counselors are trying to get as much information about your situation. Usually counselors ask questions to get a better understanding of your background, as that plays a role on why you came for help and knowing who you are. She might also ask questions as to why this caused this. This is so thye can see symptoms and see why some things were caused. Like depression can cause difficulty to work or bad eating habits. Sometimes it will make you feel worse with sharing your life story or bad experiences, but for some things, you have to break some things down to build it back up -- even stronger. Like rebuilding/repairing a damaged barn. Not only that, but therapy is a process, it takes time. I counseled high schoolers for 2 years, and very familiar with mental health. I hope this helps somewhat. If you do not like your counselor, ask to switch. I wish the best of luck, and hope that things will get better.
-Rowdy

Back
Top Bottom