In OVO vaccination

20180408_135849.jpg
this is what I have. It is a torch tip drill. . there are various size drill bits inside this holder. This is easier for me to hold on to being s I have carpal tunnel hands :rolleyes:
You should be able to get one at any welding supply store.

Hatching shipped eggs at high altitude it lets the air into the air cell easier than trying to transpire directly through the shell.

That makes sense.

I wonder if I make a hole and dunk the eggs in the vaccine what would happen... besides killing the chicks what could go wrong?

I might have to get some DUX eggs to practice on so there is no loss to mankind if they die..

I have been reading a lot of info on in ovo vaccination for Mareks.

I do not have a $50K machine to use.

I am wondering if anyone has tried this on their own by hand. I am thinking poking a hole in the shell (I think above the air sac and dropping the vaccine in might work. At day 18-19 I doubt the hole would kill the chick if the humidity is high in the hatcher.

Any thoughts? I am not going to do this with this hatch, but I might try a hatch just to see what the results would be...

I am actually doing this too, LOL! Having a broody hatch out eggs/raise chicks has been impossible for me because I have Marek's exposure in my vaccinated flock. I wondered a year ago about in-ovo vaccination and whether that would make motherhood possible for my hens but I haven't had an occasion to test it out until now! My BCM just went broody so I'm going to try in-ovo vaccination on day 18. I picked up 10 fertile eggs today from a friend/fellow BYC member, 3 of which are from a Marek's resistant hen and the rest from vaccinated hatchery hens. I put five of the eggs under her and five in my incubator. I've got the HVT vaccine in the fridge and I'll be candling in a week to check for embryo growth. I plan on vaccinating all in-ovo (manually obviously) and placing all the live chicks from the incubator under her to raise. I found this video a year ago and it's what I plan on following:
I'm so excited that someone else is interested in trying it too!!!! I still have to figure out syringe length requirements and all that jazz. I've got 17 days to get it all planned out, lol!

OOOOH! This is good... have you seen this study? https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03079450120078725 it has methods for manual in ovo vaccination.

"The manual in ovo vaccination method was validated in a pre- experimental trial involving 100 eggs and two operators. A small (1 mm diameter) hole was made in the apex of the air cell end of each egg and 200 m l vegetable dye injected into the relevant embryonic site via a needle inserted vertically through this hole. For IE injection, a sharp 21G ´ 1.5 inch hypodermic needle was inserted until the embryo was encountered and the dye injected into it. For EE injection, a 21G needle with the sharp tip removed was inserted through the hole, through the air cell membrane and into the extra-embryonic space to a depth of approximately 2.5 cm, carefully avoiding the embryo proper before dye was deposited. Eggs were subsequently broken out for determination of dye deposition site. The injection technique for both IE and EE deposition, for both operators, had an accuracy rate > 95%. This method was used in all subsequent experiments."

OOOOH! This is good... have you seen this study? https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03079450120078725 it has methods for manual in ovo vaccination.

"The manual in ovo vaccination method was validated in a pre- experimental trial involving 100 eggs and two operators. A small (1 mm diameter) hole was made in the apex of the air cell end of each egg and 200 m l vegetable dye injected into the relevant embryonic site via a needle inserted vertically through this hole. For IE injection, a sharp 21G ´ 1.5 inch hypodermic needle was inserted until the embryo was encountered and the dye injected into it. For EE injection, a 21G needle with the sharp tip removed was inserted through the hole, through the air cell membrane and into the extra-embryonic space to a depth of approximately 2.5 cm, carefully avoiding the embryo proper before dye was deposited. Eggs were subsequently broken out for determination of dye deposition site. The injection technique for both IE and EE deposition, for both operators, had an accuracy rate > 95%. This method was used in all subsequent experiments."
I just found this thread and am wondering how in ovo vaccination turned out for you two? I am about to vaccinate my second set of hatched under a broody eggs but I don’t know yet if the first set was effective as chicks are only five weeks old. Here’s a pic of the first set - all 12 hatched with no obvious problems from vaccination. Vaccinated on day 18.5 of hen incubation.

Attachments

• 4DA1B615-F9E0-4DC6-A9A6-8E98C0ADC93D.jpeg
    4DA1B615-F9E0-4DC6-A9A6-8E98C0ADC93D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom