In rooster language, what does this mean??

cuddling and loving, and holding a roo, is 1 of the worst thing you can do to them,, their not pets,, there protectors, and when you love on a roo, your telling him your equals, or that he is bigger,,, the ONLY time a roo thinks your at the top of the pecking order, is when you treat him like ANOTHER roo ,, not a pet..
and you need to stop him fast, do what the link to rooster reds page, and do it EVERY day.and teach your daughter how to deal with him too.

Quote:
So true.

What gets me are the people who love it when their roo gives them the rooster dance! Roosters don't do that because they're trying to seduce you. They do it to put you in your place, i.e. below them! Watch a rooster do this to his flock. The wing drop and footwork are meant to push a hen to where the rooster wants her to go. My Hamburg roo does this to tell a wanderer to get back with the rest of the flock.

Bottom line, I don't interpret rooster dancing as "Just look how handsome I am! I love you! Wanna make babies?" To me it says, "I'm the boss! Now get your butt back where it belongs!" If he ever drops his wing at me, he'll be in my freezer.

Last edited:
Quote:
So true.

What gets me are the people who love it when their roo gives them the rooster dance! Roosters don't do that because they're trying to seduce you. They do it to put you in your place, i.e. below them! Watch a rooster do this to his flock. The wing drop and footwork are meant to push a hen to where the rooster wants her to go. My Hamburg roo does this to tell a wanderer to get back with the rest of the flock.

Bottom line, I don't interpret rooster dancing as "Just look how handsome I am! I love you! Wanna make babies?" To me it says, "I'm the boss! Now get your butt back where it belongs!" If he ever drops his wing at me, he'll be in my freezer.

yup,,, that cute dance is actually a bullie,,, i let mine dance till he gets close enough to kick across the yard. i know what a roo is,, and WHY i have em, so the mean ones stay here with me,, i dont want a lazy non-working roo ,, my "nice" ones go in the freezer! their here to work and protect,, not love me
wink.png

My 2 have never done "the dance" to any of us, and as I said before, the cochin has never tried to do anything other than mind his own business and eat stuff! The Delaware Blues have a tenancy to be spicy little guys and being that I am planning on breeding in the spring I would prefer NOT to get rid of him, but if the boot camp doesn't work, I will have to. He has only done this once so far, but once is enough for me. I was out this morning giving them some left over french bread and he was acting like does any other day...he was just being as sweet and nice as he always is....

Do you only use these techniques when he does the bad behavior?

Edited for bad spelling..not awake yet..lol!

Last edited:
well kinda only when he's "bad" if you do it now when he's being good, he'll still get the same from it,, and sometimes its easier to teach them when their nice then when their bad.
and another thing,, remember its an animal, it has BAD days too, they get stressed, they get angry at the world,, and sometimes it can be a color of a shirt, how you walk towards them, a fast movement. there are days when a roo of mine is just having an off day, they cant do anything towards me, but i tell the family (all of em) to LEAVE HIM ALONE TODAY! he's having a rough day, , and then if they go in, and he flogs them,, the humans get their @sh kicked from me.
my roo's protect from humans too, and my family (kids) KNOWS that, and if they want to go out with the birds, i have to sit out there.when they see me, they know they can take a break lol.

EDIT: if you wait till he acts up,, he'll KNOW what causes you to chase him down,, and remember, he wont want too much loving like nows,, hehe but even my meanest roo, loves when i pick him up and he'll fall asleep with me scratching his head lol

Last edited:
That makes sense because he is usually my little puppy and follows me everywhere. it was very not like him to do that. He doesn't like to be held and cuddled, neither of my roos do really, but that's ok I just don;t want the flogging thing..lol. My son will go pick him up and just carry him around for a while then let him down to go do what ever.

I will do that if he is having bad day, just tell everyone to let him be for the day.

from time to time I approach him and walk toward him till he has to back up, flap my "wings" and generally do what he does to his girls. I feel like if he will do it to me when ever he wants I will do it to him when ever I want to keep him in line. Think like a rooster.

Yup... my beloved Charli tries dancing for me... and he tried flogging my toddler.... I treat him like a chicken now, but, if he keeps it up, his beloved fluffy butt might be in a pot with carrots and dumplings!!!! That's where the other 3 went and they were mmm mmm good
big_smile.png
My d'Uccle thinks about flogging me every now and again... especially if I'm holding a screaming chicken...LOL I like that he's a protector...and that he knows better , or is at least too scared, to try and flog me. No flogging allowed in my coop.... my kids spend too much time there. When they are all old enough to defend themselves, and there are no grandchildren yet
wink.png
.... then, well, we'll see.... by then I will be free ranging them and will like a good strong roo.

I recently found the best tool for rooster control is a chicken catcher. It's a long stick with a hook on one end. You can hook the little jerk's leg and he can't get away. Once you've used it a couple of times, they know it's the true Sceptre of Power and will go where the big stick tells them to go.
ETA: I agree that edgier roos are better for business. I'm not saying I want a mean one, but I know Carmine will kick some butt if need be.

Last edited:
What I have learned is, at the end of the day, roosters can be and usually are, territorial, defensive, offensive and protective. That is their job. One method of "education", I heard about and tried successfully, is using a thin bamboo stick, like the kind to hold up flower stems and give the rooster a quick whack on the neck with it when they get all uppitty and in your face.
Before anyone jumps down my craw, it is designed to immitate a sharp peck from another rooster. I am not talking about whacking their head into orbit around the sun! Don't be afraid, and you will know by the sound they make and how fast they move out of your way, that they now respect you.

Back
Top Bottom