incorporating plans for future chicks in current landscape design.

SuburbanJuls

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2017
Hi all,

I am interested in how folks who live in a suburban neighborhood balance out having chickens along with keeping a nice looking yard that you can host friends in. I recently was able to see a few yards during the Silicon Valley Tour de Coop, but most of the yards were a bit more country casual than what we have. I don't want to have unreasonable expectations, which is why I am trying to research before I get chicks. However, I do have a pool/spa and nice covered patio along with a firepit area, and would like to blend the people area nicely with the chicken area. I have been accused of wanting to have my cake and eat it also(by hubs), but I plan on sectioning off the area that will be dedicated to the chickens. It's about 17'x10' area along the side of the fenced yard that will have a coop inside a hardware cloth enclosed run, no free ranging.
I am wondering if I have a post sundown barbeque or use the spa/firepit at night if that will disturb the chickens? I'm a 40-something mom of 2, so not talking all night ragers, just the occasional bbq get together, mom's nights, kids b-days, etc.
I am also wondering about placement of landscape lights, which is something I need to have figured out in the next week or so. If there is no additional light inside the coop, would they be bothered by the ambient light from landscape lights coming in through the windows of the coop? I was not planning to do any supplemental light in the coop. I'm in NCal, zone 9B.
Lastly, I am wondering about proximity to my pool equipment. There will be a wood fence surrounding the equipment pad, which would adjoin the run, then about 8' of run length before the proposed coop location. The pool equipment would only be running at night if we are swimming at night, and then the noise of it isn't very noticable over the sound of the pool fountain/voices/etc. Is there any reason this won't work? Thanks so much!

I am new to chickens but I have been a landscaper for a loooooong time. I let my chickens free range in the back yard and I thought they would destroy everything back there. I have a bed of liriope, some nandina and viburnum suspensum and they re not interested in at all. There is a gardening section here in the forums and you can probably find a list of plants they won't eat. My coop is just off the back patio and I have a TV out there that is on a timer and shuts off at 10 PM and also a bug zapper that I sometimes leave on all night. They don't seem to be bothered by them either. As for landscape lighting I don't think I would put it in the run because I'm sure they would peck at them. Good luck and be sure to show us some photos some time.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've joined us:ya I've never done chickens in suburbia, so I'll leave it to others to try and answer your questions. When I lived in suburbia, they wanted $450 for a chicken permit.:he

I don't live in suburbia anymore either. Our flocks free range. But what I would tell you is the chickens would need 10+ sq ft run for each hen. And 3-4 sq ft for each depending on bantam or full size chicken. If you keep them in the run and coop at all times you will have a backyard you can still walk barefoot in.
Also a adorable coop could mimic the outside of your house.

also I would not worry about light or noise. Heck my wife Samantha is a chainsaw carver. the hens all go see her daily when she running the saws and other power tools.

Scott

Welcome! I live out in the country, with lots of space and no at landscaping to worry about. Not a lot of help there! Your birds will become accustomed to all those noises, and I'd minimize bright lighting near their run overnight. Otherwise it all sounds fine.
The more space they have, the better! Plantings around the run will be good, and maybe some low shrubs inside the run, along with deeply bedded shavings. Dirt or sand will get smelly, not good.
How about a cute three sided pool house look? Chickens need lots of ventilation, and predator protection, and if your run is really safe, the coop area and run can be used as one space. Mary

chicken-coops.jpg

something like this?
farmhouse-landscape.jpg

or this??
Tillys-Nest-Tillys-Nest-chicken-coop.jpg

This?

kodak+pictures+344.jpg

Maybe a little brighter??
870e38ac095831710b1054731bf8b3f2.jpg

You could make the paint, roof, and siding match your house!
5aa58fc2300659e4933912be9cae8f2f.jpg

Just want a few chickens? Maybe this small one would work!
5416f2a20d9398ac543f442afea0f2f7.jpg

The trim is so cute!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom