Increasing flock size: when to add/how many/etc

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
So this is the next step in my journey of questions, a continuation of:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-of-two-pekin-ducks.1528865/

We have guessed so far that this is most likely one male/1 female, but as they are probably between 5 and 6 weeks old, nothing has been concluded.

So these 2 clownish Pekin ducks, currently named Daphne and Niles, are extremely codependent. I'm assuming/hoping this is normal for two little ducklings saved from tractor supply. In addition to their codependency on each other, they are then codependent on the two humans (my wife and I).

When would be the correct time to add some ducklings to these two so that they have some more friends etc?
Should we wait until sex is known, so we do not end up with too many drakes? Or would an order from somewhere like Metzer of only females be a good idea? (We live less than an hour from Ideal poultry, which I've heard good things, but I think they only do straight run. Not sure I would know what to do with a bunch of extra males other than turn them into food...though all other thoughts are helpful lol)
Their coop (SEE PICS) is 7 1/2 long by 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall. It is enclosed in a 60ft circumference security fence/netting with a locking gate. So there is room to add. (Though since we only purchased the farm a few weeks ago they have only slept in the enclosure twice and have yet to sleep in the coop itself as they so far like to stay by the pool). It gets dark in there and I've added a few mellow lights (see pics) since their night vision isn't terrific.

So, any help on:
- when to add more ducks
- How many
- Sex
- Breed (Cayuga look pretty cool, looking to differentiate breeds/colors if this isn't an issue)
- Anything else I may have neglected to consider

Any and all help/ thoughts/ comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_135405.jpg
    IMG_20220525_135405.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220524_185911.jpg
    20220524_185911.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220524_185854.jpg
    20220524_185854.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220524_185900.jpg
    20220524_185900.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
I'd wait to get more until you know their sexes for sure. If you end up with two males, you will want get get only females. If you have two females, you could get more females and a male or two or risk straight runs. If you end up with one of each, I'd get females and maybe one other male.

You want about 3 hens per drake at the minimum. Drakes can be really feisty during mating season.

A general rule of thumb is 5FT per bird in the coop and 10-15Ft per bird in the run. This can vary slightly.

Different species of ducks can live together. I adored my Cayugas. They were great layers and absolutely gorgeous. Would definitely recommend.

I'd wait to get more until you know their sexes for sure. If you end up with two males, you will want get get only females. If you have two females, you could get more females and a male or two or risk straight runs. If you end up with one of each, I'd get females and maybe one other male.

You want about 3 hens per drake at the minimum. Drakes can be really feisty during mating season.

A general rule of thumb is 5FT per bird in the coop and 10-15Ft per bird in the run. This can vary slightly.

Different species of ducks can live together. I adored my Cayugas. They were great layers and absolutely gorgeous. Would definitely recommend.
Gotcha. Ya gonna wait until I definitely have these two sexed so I don't over drake the situation.
Definitely considering Cayuga do go with the pekin I think they'd look great and probably add 3 I think 5 total would be perfect.
Just gotta decide if I order 3 female via the mail or do a straight run; I'd prefer the 3 female but never ordered live birds before

Gotcha. Ya gonna wait until I definitely have these two sexed so I don't over drake the situation.
Definitely considering Cayuga do go with the pekin I think they'd look great and probably add 3 I think 5 total would be perfect.
Just gotta decide if I order 3 female via the mail or do a straight run; I'd prefer the 3 female but never ordered live birds before
Sexed cost a little more then straight, but at least you know you aren't ending up with more then one drake. Meyers, Murray, Metzer, and Ideal are some of the most popular. Of course there are many others.

Sexed cost a little more then straight, but at least you know you aren't ending up with more then one drake. Meyers, Murray, Metzer, and Ideal are some of the most popular. Of course there are many others.
Right. I can drive the 45 mins to Ideal and pick them up but they only do straight run but maybe if I call I can get three female since I'm picking up.
If not it seems everyone is mostly successful as you said with these companies that ship

I'd actually consider just getting more females now if you are willing to pay extra for sexed ducklings. That way they are closer in age and might be easier to integrate together. I guess it really depends on what your goals are -

If you want eggs but don't want to hatch, then all you need are females.
If you want eggs and also want to be able to hatch eggs, then you need a male, and you need enough females for each male you have.

If you just want pets and don't care about eggs, then you could just have an all male flock.

I think your goals will dictate to some degree what direction you take right now and in the future. Honestly if your current ducklings are 5-6 weeks old, then you'll know gender in the coming weeks if you don't already anyway. So waiting one more week or two before ordering more wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Since you already have pekins, I'd get another breed that's at least medium size. You don't want a pekin drake mating a tiny little female.

I'd say the main goal is to have eggs and maybe a few ducklings if possible, which is why I'm hoping that there is already one male and that's it. If need to expand or add to the coop if/when ducklings arrive the can be done.
What are breeds, size wise (and I guess any other metric) that should be avoided with the two existing Pekin?

I'd say the main goal is to have eggs and maybe a few ducklings if possible, which is why I'm hoping that there is already one male and that's it. If need to expand or add to the coop if/when ducklings arrive the can be done.
What are breeds, size wise (and I guess any other metric) that should be avoided with the two existing Pekin?
I would avoid mallards as they are tiny!

Back
Top Bottom