Increasingly Aggressive 5 month Old Orpington Rooster(s)

I have a rooster because i like the flock dynamics and i like hatching my eggs when i have a broody hen. I also enjoy the crowing in the morning.
I only have one rooster and he is a nice one, he is a gentelman with the hens (not overly rough when mating) he actuLly romances my girls and is always feeding them tidbits.
Also having a gentle rooster is more likely that his children will be gentle (not all i know)
I try to rehome my nice roosters on craiglist. There are nice roosters out there, no reason to keep a nasty one.
I notice that alot of the problems here with roosters always start with "we had him since he was a chick and handled him daily, now he is a monster" i think this daily handeling removes a healthy fear the rooster may have of humans.
my rooster is only handled at night to trim his spurs or for treatment of some kind. He does not like being handled and is wary of me and everyone else. He does not eat out of my hand like the hens, but i throw him some.
I know here are exceptions to every rule but this works for me.
Good luck with your roosters!

Over many years I have progressed from watching out for a rooster who was an attack bird, to attempting to 'reform' cockerels who wanted to be attack birds, to 'three strikes and you're out. Now, it's 'don't even think bad thoughts, or you're out'!
Handling may make some difference is some cases, but it's not about feeling guilty because an individual cockerel wants to waste his time stalking and attacking humans; it's about having a flock, and individuals, that you can live with.
There are many cockerels and cock birds who would never think of attacking the giants who bring food, and those are the ones to keep. Safer, better genetics, less stress for everyone.
Flock management means keeping the good ones, and eliminating individuals who cause problems, either to the other birds, or people.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom