Increasingly Aggressive 5 month Old Orpington Rooster(s)

MisaF

Songster
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Montgomery, NY
Hi all,

I am new to chickens and started my flock in April by ordering eight Buff Orpington hens. Fast forward to August and I have six amazingly sweet and friendly hens and two horrible roosters. Well, one horrible rooster and one who is borderline horrible. :)

My one rooster (Cluck Norris) is huge. Much larger than the hens and a good deal larger than my other rooster (Penny). Cluck and Penny hit the age where they were starting to mate with the hens and with the size different and other factors the roosters were causing damage to the hens. In addition Cluck was getting more and more aggressive with me. He bites. Hard. So we removed the roos from the hens at that point and they live in a boys only coop now. They share a small temporary coop by night and I am now keeping them in a 10 x 10 run during the day because they are aggressive towards me and towards my small dogs and my big dog and my duck. Like run across the yard to bite aggressive.

Being new to chickens and ending up with these two large roos was one thing. I was going to do right by them and give them every chance I could but now they are getting a bit frightening. Trying to change their water last night Cluck came at me and bit me twice on the back of the leg and then again on the front when I turned to basically boot him off of me. Thankfully neither roo has spurs yet but when they do I fear for all of us!

Anyone else have this happen? I know roos are tough and I know this is why a lot of them end up needing to go but I guess I'm a bleeding heart and I just keep trying. Any advice? I'm not yet scared of them (even though Cluck breaks the skin on me at least once a week at this point) but when they get spurs I'm going to be a lot more worried.

What do you do with aggressive roos? I'm not sure how much Cluck Norris I can take!

Thanks!!
Melissa

I'm sorry to hear that your new flock has given you some bad eggs! The unfortunate fact of the matter is that an aggressive roo is an aggressive roo. He won't get better. Roos that have the audacity to charge and attack a human should not be kept. Aggressiveness tends to be hereditary in poultry as well, so any chicks you hatch from him will likely exhibit those same aggressive tendencies. I have a BR roo who will go after the dogs, which I really don't mind. He's never tried anything with me, but that's where I would draw the line. If you can't go about your regular business in tending your flock, including handling the hens, without problems from a roo, he needs the boot. As for me, any chronically misbehaving roos I deal with go straight to the dumpling pot.

I strongly advise you to rid yourself of these problem birds. You should never be scared of your birds. You should never dread going out to your coop and worry about fighting off a mean bird. Once their spurs start growing they can be plain dangerous. The feeling of getting spurred by an older roo is comparable to getting hit with a two-by-four with a nail sticking out. Especially with bigger and more powerful birds. Add in all the nasty bacteria that they carry on those things, and you could wind up with a nice infection.

I will say this though: don't let these two sour you on roos. I've owned way more goodies than baddies. They are a pleasure to own. I think these two are an exception. The Orps I've owned have all been fairly gentle. Not all roos are mean. Maybe try another breed next time around. I know there are a lot of beautiful colors and varieties, but keep the "under the hood" stuff in mind too--disposition, temperament etc. Good luck!

My first rooster was a tiny bantam attack bird, and I put up with him way too long! I learned, he left, and never again do I keep an idiot who attacks me, or any other human here.
Don't feel guilty about these boys; send them off to someone who will appreciate them! Providing a good dinner for a family is a worthy end, after having a better life than any commercial meat bird ever has.
Next year, raise some chicks, and maybe a nice cockerel will arrive with them. He will be educated by your adult hens in politeness, and you can learn how better to interact with the flock.
Mary

If you are genuinely scared around them they really do need to go, they are only going to get more brave & aggressive. Just like with any other animal, they sense your fear and it makes them more bold. Instead of trying to re-home you may just need to sell/give them to someone willing/able to process them. Local Facebook groups are awesome for this, we have a local rooster re-homing group where several members take extras to process for their families.

I have a nasty rooster as well. I am new to chickens and a friend of mine told me that it would be better for the girls if I had a rooster with them to protect them...well.....he does his job - a little to well. He attacks me every chance he gets. and thank God he doesn't have his spurs yet because that would not be good. I have to go walk back to the coup/run with a large rake in my hand to fend him off or he will charge me. BUT I was told that if you charge back at him with your arms flapping he will eventually back down and learn that you are the boss of the coup. Is that even worth a try? I don't know. I've been trying that method the last few days and it's not helping - as a matter of fact he is getting more and more aggressive the more I challenge him back. BUT he is only that way with me. My husband can go back there and he runs the other way. I feel bad even thinking of making dumplings out of him, and i'm trying to give him a chance, but I'm not sure that his bad behavior is fixable - thoughts?
Some people believe bad cockerel/rooster behavior is fixable, and some don't. I personally don't think it's worth the effort unless you are very attached to the rooster.

In your case and with what you've described, I think you would be much better off without your cockerel. You shouldn't have to live in fear on your own property, and you are risking this bird attacking visitors, as well. They can do real damage, especially to kids.

It is true that roosters can help warn hens of danger, but most hens can do the job just fine themselves, and they will take on that role when no rooster is present. Cockerels and roosters can be a real joy, but when you have a bad one it's best to either do without or try a new one, depending on your needs.

Her article is the best! I do think that your boys are beyond it though, but next time...
A very big issue with human aggressive roosters is that while the bird may be able to learn caution around one individual, it won't extend this respect towards anyone else. EVERY human will be fair game, and children and visitors are especially vulnerable.
I keep several roosters, none of whom think bad thoughts toward any people who visit or live here.
Mary

Great description of what getting spurred feels like. You nailed it lol!:gig
I'm sorry to hear that your new flock has given you some bad eggs! The unfortunate fact of the matter is that an aggressive roo is an aggressive roo. He won't get better. Roos that have the audacity to charge and attack a human should not be kept. Aggressiveness tends to be hereditary in poultry as well, so any chicks you hatch from him will likely exhibit those same aggressive tendencies. I have a BR roo who will go after the dogs, which I really don't mind. He's never tried anything with me, but that's where I would draw the line. If you can't go about your regular business in tending your flock, including handling the hens, without problems from a roo, he needs the boot. As for me, any chronically misbehaving roos I deal with go straight to the dumpling pot.

I strongly advise you to rid yourself of these problem birds. You should never be scared of your birds. You should never dread going out to your coop and worry about fighting off a mean bird. Once their spurs start growing they can be plain dangerous. The feeling of getting spurred by an older roo is comparable to getting hit with a two-by-four with a nail sticking out. Especially with bigger and more powerful birds. Add in all the nasty bacteria that they carry on those things, and you could wind up with a nice infection.

I will say this though: don't let these two sour you on roos. I've owned way more goodies than baddies. They are a pleasure to own. I think these two are an exception. The Orps I've owned have all been fairly gentle. Not all roos are mean. Maybe try another breed next time around. I know there are a lot of beautiful colors and varieties, but keep the "under the hood" stuff in mind too--disposition, temperament etc. Good luck!

Hi all!

I opted for Orpingtons on the advice of chicken loving friends who have them and said they were friendly, hardy, able to deal with the cold winters of NY state and gentle. My hens are all of those things! I adore them. Super friendly and gentle and just a lot of fun. Not an egg to be seen yet but they will come sit with me and they follow me around the yard when I'm doing yard work. I also know a bunch of people who has roosters and none of them have had the 'fun' I'm having with my two monsters. I've met a lot of roos and never seen anything like Cluck. He's just doing what his brain tells him, I know, but he's an a$$hole. :)

If I wasn't already scared of these boys, the spurs (and your explanation of what it's like to be on the business end of them) has me really concerned. I have already removed my hens from them so there is no risk of baby horrible roosters (THANK GOD). I think at that point I'd just leave the roos the house and take my hens and move. :gig

If I remove the one who is by far the worst when it comes to aggression will that possibily cause the other to basically take over as big of aggression or would that maybe help to lessen the nastiness because there is no need to compete (still no roosters would have access to my hens)?

Also, how does one 'get rid of' nasty roos. I've tried finding other homes for them but that hasn't worked. I'm not sure I have it in me to actually off them myself. It sucks when you're a bleeding heart and you raised the monsters yourself. Is there a humane way to spare us all the spurs and remove these guys from the flock?

Thanks for your patience me being a newb and all.

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom