Increasingly Aggressive 5 month Old Orpington Rooster(s)

You've done your best by them. Some roosters are just plain mean, and it sounds like both of yours will only get worse with time. Do not feel guilty about getting rid of them. They are a danger to you and anyone else around them, not to mention your other animals.

You have two options. Butcher them yourself for food, or place an ad for free roosters and let someone else deal with them. If you choose to place an ad, you need to include their aggressive behavior in your description. Chances are they would become food for someone else. It's tough to let that happen when you've raised them yourself, but keeping them would be much worse in the long run.

If you do place an ad, I'd suggest doing it in your local forum on BYC or at local feed stores, which often have bulletin boards. Avoid Craigslist if you can.

I hope things work out for you and life gets a little bit easier soon.

I have a nasty rooster as well. I am new to chickens and a friend of mine told me that it would be better for the girls if I had a rooster with them to protect them...well.....he does his job - a little to well. He attacks me every chance he gets. and thank God he doesn't have his spurs yet because that would not be good. I have to go walk back to the coup/run with a large rake in my hand to fend him off or he will charge me. BUT I was told that if you charge back at him with your arms flapping he will eventually back down and learn that you are the boss of the coup. Is that even worth a try? I don't know. I've been trying that method the last few days and it's not helping - as a matter of fact he is getting more and more aggressive the more I challenge him back. BUT he is only that way with me. My husband can go back there and he runs the other way. I feel bad even thinking of making dumplings out of him, and i'm trying to give him a chance, but I'm not sure that his bad behavior is fixable - thoughts?

Nooo, charging the rooster will not help lol! That rooster knows you won't hurt him and he's sure your hubs will. Iv'e never had one like that be fixable in the least bit in fact it just gets worse. Don't feel bad, make dumplings and try again for a rooster you don't have to fix they are out there I swear.:)
I have a nasty rooster as well. I am new to chickens and a friend of mine told me that it would be better for the girls if I had a rooster with them to protect them...well.....he does his job - a little to well. He attacks me every chance he gets. and thank God he doesn't have his spurs yet because that would not be good. I have to go walk back to the coup/run with a large rake in my hand to fend him off or he will charge me. BUT I was told that if you charge back at him with your arms flapping he will eventually back down and learn that you are the boss of the coup. Is that even worth a try? I don't know. I've been trying that method the last few days and it's not helping - as a matter of fact he is getting more and more aggressive the more I challenge him back. BUT he is only that way with me. My husband can go back there and he runs the other way. I feel bad even thinking of making dumplings out of him, and i'm trying to give him a chance, but I'm not sure that his bad behavior is fixable - thoughts?

Some people believe bad cockerel/rooster behavior is fixable, and some don't. I personally don't think it's worth the effort unless you are very attached to the rooster.

In your case and with what you've described, I think you would be much better off without your cockerel. You shouldn't have to live in fear on your own property, and you are risking this bird attacking visitors, as well. They can do real damage, especially to kids.

It is true that roosters can help warn hens of danger, but most hens can do the job just fine themselves, and they will take on that role when no rooster is present. Cockerels and roosters can be a real joy, but when you have a bad one it's best to either do without or try a new one, depending on your needs.

Hi all!

I opted for Orpingtons on the advice of chicken loving friends who have them and said they were friendly, hardy, able to deal with the cold winters of NY state and gentle. My hens are all of those things! I adore them. Super friendly and gentle and just a lot of fun. Not an egg to be seen yet but they will come sit with me and they follow me around the yard when I'm doing yard work. I also know a bunch of people who has roosters and none of them have had the 'fun' I'm having with my two monsters. I've met a lot of roos and never seen anything like Cluck. He's just doing what his brain tells him, I know, but he's an a$$hole. :)

If I wasn't already scared of these boys, the spurs (and your explanation of what it's like to be on the business end of them) has me really concerned. I have already removed my hens from them so there is no risk of baby horrible roosters (THANK GOD). I think at that point I'd just leave the roos the house and take my hens and move. :gig

If I remove the one who is by far the worst when it comes to aggression will that possibily cause the other to basically take over as big of aggression or would that maybe help to lessen the nastiness because there is no need to compete (still no roosters would have access to my hens)?

Also, how does one 'get rid of' nasty roos. I've tried finding other homes for them but that hasn't worked. I'm not sure I have it in me to actually off them myself. It sucks when you're a bleeding heart and you raised the monsters yourself. Is there a humane way to spare us all the spurs and remove these guys from the flock?

Thanks for your patience me being a newb and all.

Melissa
A lot of people will take the Roos for food etc. honestly I would cull the most aggressive and give the other one a chance with my hens.

I agree with Jed and Chickassan. There are people who say to try holding them, tipping them upside-down, giving them a solid kick etc. My opinion is that it just agitates the bird more and gets your hopes up. He may remember it for a while, but it is doubtful that he'll do a complete 180 and be cured of his over-aggression.

I have had roosters that became aggressive, fairly young. RIR started off threatening/chasing granddaughter, not me, I would intervene. then he became aggressive toward me. he and I had a few bouts until he learned to sneak attack from behind. he went to freezer camp. at the same time I had 3 about the same age Buff Orpington cockerels, shortly after I did in the Rhode Island Red, a buff became dominant and started attacking, he got worse and we fought for several minutes, he didn't back down and you sure didn't turn your back, all I had was the water bucket and my foot, I kicked him every time he charged, It ended on his last attack and I broke his wing. he left me alone for 3 months, then pulled a sneak attack, he went to supper camp. then the next one, BO, took about a month longer and he started threatening and charging me. that was his last day. the next buff, was fine no attacks, I liked him, he drowned in stock tank one day. I the 2 aggressive Buffs were raised for 8 weeks by grandkids, handled a lot, the RIR and one buff was raised by me and Not handled a lot. Still The RIR was very aggressive, the buff was good. sometimes they just take over the dominant spot and get mean, especially if handled much by people. Each can be different, but none should be allowed to be that way toward you . It's just the way it is with chickens, and it is best to deal with it as it is a part of having chickens. Don't feel bad because you have to dispatch mean roosters. Be thankful they will feed you instead. You will find a good one, I have had a few, and really hate it when it is time for them to go. But I have no regrets on doing in the mean ones. I feel it is my responsibility to take care of my problem, I don't put it off on someone else. Remember to cook on low and slow until tender. :)
Yes spurs hurt. amazing how many times they can hit your leg in one jump against your leg.

If I remove the one who is by far the worst when it comes to aggression will that possibily cause the other to basically take over as big of aggression or would that maybe help to lessen the nastiness because there is no need to compete (still no roosters would have access to my hens)?
Have you ever had problems with the other? He will take over the spot as flock leader since his competition is gone, but if he hasn't shown any aggression towards you at this point, he won't necessarily be bad. But he may too. Personally, if he's not shown any aggression towards you whatsoever, I would maybe let him stay to see how it goes. If he has, I say boot them both and start new with your boys.

Wherever you take the big problem, let them know you may have another one coming if it doesn't work out if you decide to try the other.

Back
Top Bottom