Incubating bantams and normal-size eggs

Wishapup

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2013
Canada
I have an assortment of thirty-something eggs, and 5-6 are bantams. The rest are large/normal-sized. This morning is the 21st day.
3 bantam chicks have hatched, a 4th bantam egg is zipped right around and ready to hatch.

Is it a bad sign that there are no pips from the larger eggs? We placed them in the incubator in the evening, so I guess the more correct hatch time is this evening. They will be our primary egg layers, so I'm really hoping they're okay.

One of the newly hatched bantams appears to be healthy, but he is stuck on his back between eggshells and cannot get up. He is not dried yet, and chirping a lot. Do you think he will be able to right himself on his own?

sad.png
The 4th egg back in the corner wasn't a 4th egg at all...it was a shell from one of the 3 hatched chicks that had been jammed back together. Besides these 3, no other pips or cheeps.

The 2 older chicks have been in there for about 7 hours...one isn't completely dried yet. They're bumping and rolling the other eggs around and pecking the younger chick...I can't wait to get them out of there. Is it okay for the other eggs to be rolled?

Thanks!

Thats awesome!! Congrats! In my experience, having the chicks bang the eggs sometimes encourages the others to pip... at least thats what I tell myself. Cant wait to see pics!
wee.gif

I've hatched thousands of quail and ducks, but not chicks yet so take this answer with that in mind, it just sounded like u need some reassurance :) the smaller breeds of quail generally have a shorter incubation period. So, I could see it being true that bantam chickens hatch first :)

And rolling the eggs is fine - it will even encourage the others out if they are already close :)

Good luck, post pics!

Thank you, both of you, for your advice! I will keep waiting. They are very cute Silkie bantam crosses. The others (unhatched eggs) are laying hybrids with a bit of Silkie bantam thrown in.
These two are the roosters of all of the chicks (even the larger ones):

Sorry, I don't have a better picture of the second one. We have a few bantam hens, and here is one of the moms of the larger layer eggs:

3 bantam chicks doing well.
No standard eggs have pipped, I don't think.
2 more bantam eggs have pipped, one's started zipping. Looks like we'll have a good bantam hatch
smile.png
Hope we get at least one standard. The standards, if they hatch, will be Black Sex-Link X Silkie Bantam.

Back
Top Bottom