Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

They aren't my favorite but my mother loved them so I have two for her. I prefer my D'uccles, Marans, and Easter eggers.
Bantam Cochin fan here
smile.png
so sweet and friendly...we are pet chicken people so perfect for us!

Ok I know I have been doing lots of things wrong. This is my first batch of chick eggs and I didn't look up a lot. I turned them too much. And I candled them too late. And I've been doing the water test. But today is my 22 day of the eggs being in the incubator. I've got every thing right. I just have to wait. The temp has spiked up and down. And I didn't know what the humidity was. But now I know. Do you think my eggs will have a chance?

There's an article in the Learning Center (here on BYC) called "Hatching 101". I think you should check that out; it might answer your question(s) better than we can.
Yes, there's always a chance. I'll tell you this: a chick (egg) or chicken has to be pretty tough to survive in my incubator/on my property.
It's important to have things pretty consistently close to right throughout the hatch; there are things that you do throughout the incubation that affect whether the chicks are able to hatch or not.

I've been seeing 2 of my best eggs wobble but not today and I think I heard a chirp yesterday but I wasn't sure.

Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what's going on. I would candle once a day after day 21 and start with Assisted Hatching techniques (another article you can search here on BYC) being very careful with how you proceed.

I didn't do well when I started out hatching. Here's what I learned:
Keep the temp pretty steady around 99.5*F around the middle of the eggs or 101*F on top of the eggs. (Therefore, a very accurate thermometer is very important; you can test your thermometer by freezing and/or boiling it to see if it reads the right temp; I had a thermometer that was close at room temperature, but there was a huge difference around 100*F and I ended up incubating at 114* for lockdown, I only got one chick out of that hatch.)
Humidity is important, but dry hatching works well. Keep the incubator closed except when you turn the eggs (an odd number of times a day) and put a dish of water, where the chicks can't knock it over, during lock down (last 3 days, from day 18-day 21).
Do read Hatching 101 before your next hatch. You might check out Assisted Hatching for those eggs you think might still be viable; I wouldn't want to crack open an egg I thought was a dud and find a living baby chick (someone I know did that, so I've always done egg-topsies according to Assisted Hatching.
fl.gif
for the chirpers!!!

My August hatch hit a snag....

Here is what I posted on a different thread about my snag:

Silly Me!

I forgot to write the worst part of the day.

I went to check my incubator this morning before the goose incident and found the humidity was over 65%!

I knew this was bad, it was humid here, but not that humid. I opened the incubator and the stench was over powering!

After regaining my breath I found one of the eggs I had marked as potentially being good, was not. These are pheasant eggs so they are very dark and hard to see into when candling. The egg must have exploded and sent rotten egg everywhere. I held my nose, and preceded to clean the mess. I had to remove the surrounding eggs from the incubator and clean them and the tray.

One of the eggs about 3 rows over was stuck to the tray. I gently tried to remove it. It exploded in my hand. It was a nasty explosion. I was trying to count my fingers and see if I still had 5 on that hand while gagging and barfing. It was not a pretty sight.

This all happened before the goose chewed the extension cord. NOW what I need to know is?

How did that darn goose screw up my incubator? I know it was them, this is something they would do?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/911830/a-ver-bad-day#post_13873199
hugs.gif
Hope things go better for your next hatch!

Candled my shipped eggs. very disappointing. All the silkies were clear and of the 6 Orps, 2 obviously were. The other 4 were hard to see in but I think there was development. This leaves me with only 4 silkie eggs left.
sad.png

I'm so sorry!!!
hugs.gif
Your DD was looking forward to Silkies, wasn't she?
I hope the rest hatch alright for you!!!
fl.gif

I feel your pain!

Good luck on your remaining eggs.

I just checked mine this morning and I have another exploded egg. I have never had an egg explode before this batch. Can someone give me an idea why they are exploding.

Is it because they are pheasant eggs and nearly impossible to candle? Is it because I bought bad eggs? Could they be older than the guy on craigslist advertised them to be?

I am tempted to just throw out every egg I am in doubt about, but I know I will kill some chicks doing that.

I am not sure what to do, BUT I know I cannot dither any longer and I have to go clean the incubator and eggs, again. (I just checked and came here to ask these questions and get rubber gloves before starting the horrid chore.)

My first suspicion would be that "the guy on craigslist" was wrong (to put it nicely).
Don't tell anyone, but I would want to lay into him like he bold-faced lied to me. (DH wouldn't let me, but I'd want to, and DH would have to listen to me about it, so he might one day start letting me lay into ppl like that.)
You could check the eggs your in doubt about using the Assisted Hatching article (outside), then at least the chick has a better chance than if the egg is just thrown out, but you're also not putting eggs back in the incubator that are probably going to explode.
I hope everything goes better for you!!!
hugs.gif
and
fl.gif

I replied to the seller of my shipped eggs when I first received them to let him know they came in and told him I would let him know about progress. I also told him I had one cracked egg.

He wanted to know what "extras" his assistant had sent as he was out of town at the time of shipment. I responded that I got no extras only exactly what I ordered and the extra space was packed with styrofoam.

He also stated that he had learned that his silkie roos had died of the high temps while he was gone so he was interested if the silkie eggs were fertile.

When I responded that I got no extas, I haven't heard backfrom him.

I emailed him last night about the # of clears. I will be interested in his response esp. since he even stated that he wasn't sure they were fertile.

Just got an email back and he is going to re-ship!!! Aparently his assistant totally sent the wrong Orps as well. I got some of his "project" eggs. I thought I was finished hatching but looks like it will go on!!!

Got to love chicken math!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
So happy for you!!!
and
ya.gif
for good customer service!!!
thumbsup.gif

Not partially hatched, but definately partially incubated, and even mostly incubated.

Wow! If those are eggs you picked up, not shipped, I would talk to the seller, unless they were super inexpensive.

Ditto

Back
Top Bottom