Incubating Khaki duck. Need some advice please! :o)

casslarrabee225

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Mid-Coast, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I put it in on Tuesday (1-22) at about 10am. I candled the egg today and I see no veins and no embryo spot. Should I be seeing SOMETHING at this point? This egg came from a female that share a coop with two males, no other females. I didn't think infertility would be a problem...help?

Putting them in on Tuesday makes Wednesday day 1, so today is only day 5. Check again on day 8 since sometimes you just don't see the tiny beginnings. If you aren't use to candling eggs you can miss the signs as well.

Two drakes would make you think every egg would be fertile, but if they are young things can be off at first. If the hens just started laying things can be off at first. Give it some time to regulate out, and you should see fertile eggs.

Thanks! Also when I candle the egg I notice that the yolk will float to either end. Which ever end is pointing up it will float to. Is that normal or should it be sticking to the egg for veins to start attaching?

No, the yolk shouldn't be stuck to one side or the other. This is why we turn the eggs during incubation.
smile.png

Thank you! I've incubated once before (last April) and this egg is coming from my flock. I thought I would be all set and be a "pro" at it. But it's still nerve-wrecking, how do Momma ducks do it like it's nothing? lol! I was starting to get discouraged..but I guess I won't give up just yet.
I was nervous that the yolk isn't a perfect circle. It's a little hazy/cloudy, almost like the "germ" thing I've heard about when you incubate an infertile egg. I'll give it a bit...I just don't want it to explode if it isn't fertile..but don't want to toss it if it is.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom