Incubating Peafowl Eggs...

Pea eggs are so totally different.  The shells on chickens gets thin and brittle at hatch time, pea eggs don't.  Peas need to loose 10 to 15% weight before hatching.  Running too high of humidity the chick will be big and fill the air cell, this will keep the chick from having enough room in the shell to be able to swing the head to break out.  If the egg has not lost enough moisture there can be liquid in the shell and the chick can drown.   Too dry in the hatcher the chick will dry out too soon and get stuck and if too wet the chick is 'sticky' and can get stuck.  The main reason I like my Brinsea as it has a humidity pump and will keep the incubator at a very precise percentage.

There is a lot of balance you have to find and your location may be very different than mine so you will just have to experiment and find what works best for you.

That's why I am asking what people use to hatch their chickens at so I can see the difference. If you hatch your chickens at 50 as well as your peafowl, then I'd start with what I hatch my chickens at. But if you incubated your chickens at 40 and your peafowl at 50, then I'd probably start with a ten percent difference than I normally use.

Quote:
We have 3 incubators. The first is a cruddy styrofoam circulated air one that cannot keep an even temperature so that one will be our hatcher. We also have a Lyon incubator which is dead on consistent and an awesome antique that still gets the job done. That one, however, is already designated for our ancona ducks. Soooo, that leaves us with our Brinsea. It is also extremely consistent. Can't remember which one it is but last year it held about 15 duck eggs and it doesn't have the auto-turner in it (which we don't wanna use anyways).

My best hatch was in the RCOM 20 Max, and that I ran at 47% and 99.5. Tried some in the Janoel at 50-55%, and almost all of them had issues.

Last edited:
That's why I am asking what people use to hatch their chickens at so I can see the difference. If you hatch your chickens at 50 as well as your peafowl, then I'd start with what I hatch my chickens at. But if you incubated your chickens at 40 and your peafowl at 50, then I'd probably start with a ten percent difference than I normally use.

I treat chickens like I do my peas. My concern is with hatching expensive birds so if I can get the best results for them I am not really concerned about a cheap chicken. We just ran a load of BCM and EE in the Brinsea set on 99.6* and 55% then hatched at 75% and whatever it spiked to during hatch. I can tell you that my wife freaked when she saw the temp in the hatcher was over 103*, we left the door open the rest of the night... Anyway, out of 198 eggs set we candled out 14 and had six or eight either drown in the shell, got stuck, or trampled.

What kind of Peacocks are you guys raising? We have an India blue hen, a Pied hen, and a Purple Blackshoulder hen. Our male is a gorgeous Purple Split so he's half India Blue, half Purple Blackshoulder but he has the coloring of the Purple Blackshoulder except for a streak of green and blue feathers down the middle of his back.

What kind of Peacocks are you guys raising? We have an India blue hen, a Pied hen, and a Purple Blackshoulder hen. Our male is a gorgeous Purple Split so he's half India Blue, half Purple Blackshoulder but he has the coloring of the Purple Blackshoulder except for a streak of green and blue feathers down the middle of his back.

Man, now I have to go google....lol

Back
Top Bottom