Incubating Peafowl Eggs...

BigWeenMachine

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Hello, we have 3 peahens that are 2 years old and should be ready to start laying. This is our first time trying to incubate peacock eggs. Does anyone know what the incubation period, temp, and humidity levels should be when trying to incubate the eggs?

Hello, we have 3 peahens that are 2 years old and should be ready to start laying. This is our first time trying to incubate peacock eggs. Does anyone know what the incubation period, temp, and humidity levels should be when trying to incubate the eggs?

What type of incubator?

Quote:
26 to 27 days at 99.6* and 55% humidity. I raise the humidity to 75% in the hatcher but it always maxes out at 100% while they are zipping. Pea eggs are not chicken eggs and can not be treated like they are.
Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
We have 3 incubators. The first is a cruddy styrofoam circulated air one that cannot keep an even temperature so that one will be our hatcher. We also have a Lyon incubator which is dead on consistent and an awesome antique that still gets the job done. That one, however, is already designated for our ancona ducks. Soooo, that leaves us with our Brinsea. It is also extremely consistent. Can't remember which one it is but last year it held about 15 duck eggs and it doesn't have the auto-turner in it (which we don't wanna use anyways).
Sounds like the Brinsea eco 20.

KingBee, do you have any midnight peafowl? Been looking for one or maybe a pair for a couple years now. Also, where is Marion? I live in Northeast Colorado so might be worth a trip if you're not too far away.

I have a quad from @barkerg that are hi% Spaulding. They are only two years old now so it will be another year before I have any chicks from them.

How old are peacocks before they mature and are laying?

An IB hen may lay a few eggs at two years of age, they are kind of hit and miss as to being fertile. They are not very good at the mechanics the first breeding year. At three years of age IB's will start production and will lay around 25 and maybe more the next year. Greens on the other hand are about a year later than IB's. A two year cock if he has a few eyes will be mature enough to breed but we never put more than two hens with a young guy like that.

Be Careful----People will make fun of you----a Peacock is a Male and does not lay eggs----LOL. Peafowl eggs usually take about 26/27 days in the incubator and incubate the same as chickens, that's what I do and I had a 100% hatch on the last ones.

Last edited:
You'll get different answers on this one since everybody has their pet methods. I do 100 degrees farenheit with 60% humidity until the last three days when I raise humidity to 70%

Back
Top Bottom