INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! Winter drop off sounds awful
1f623.png
what are the best breeds for laying through winter?

I had Production Reds last winter and they never skipped a beat... but mostly first year layers of most breeds do well in winter...

Well I decided to upgrade to a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX the humidity pump seems to be a necessary upgrade and I have to much invested in eggs to struggle with the Genesis at least with shipped eggs. I hope I did the right thing... It should be here before my replacement eggs for the 0-12 BCM eggs and will come in handy for the Sky Blue Egg Araucana eggs I have coming in the spring.

You will love it! I actually un-plugged the humidity pump for the first 18 days (its noisy), then plugged it in at lockdown. But its definitely worth it, if you need it. Good luck!

I had Production Reds last winter and they never skipped a beat... but mostly first year layers of most breeds do well in winter...

My Reds are still mostly laying. I get 4 or 5 eggs from 6 pullets almost every day still. Silkies not doing as well, but still laying. My young duckess is still daily! I'm so proud of her.

You will love it!  I actually un-plugged the humidity pump for the first 18 days (its noisy), then plugged it in at lockdown.  But its definitely worth it, if you need it.  Good luck!

My Reds are still mostly laying.  I get 4 or 5 eggs from 6 pullets almost every day still.  Silkies not doing as well, but still laying.  My young duckess is still daily!  I'm so proud of her.

That's awesome!! Go ducks! :gig

Lady Grey is still churning them out, a regular little egg machine, lol... if she keeps it up, I'll have a Call duck New Year's hatch... :D

That's awesome!! Go ducks!
gig.gif

Lady Grey is still churning them out, a regular little egg machine, lol... if she keeps it up, I'll have a Call duck New Year's hatch...
big_smile.png

I really want to do a New Year's hatch, I'm just not sure what to hatch. I think I'm going to throw in some silkie/frizzle cochin eggs, just for fun.
And while I'm at it, I could throw in some mixes too... and what the heck, might as well do a few LavOrp eggs...
lol.png

I LOVE My brinsea I really like that the mini doesn't fit very many eggs, so chicken math is a little bit small

I have a mini as well. How did you do adjusting humidity at lockdown? You have to open the whole top to add water... I lost one that piped when I did that last time I used it. I want to be able to use it as well.

I really want to do a New Year's hatch, I'm just not sure what to hatch.  I think I'm going to throw in some silkie/frizzle cochin eggs, just for fun. 
And while I'm at it, I could throw in some mixes too... and what the heck, might as well do a few LavOrp eggs...  :lol:

And there you have it... a full bator!! :lau

I had an emergency this morning!!! I checked on my mom hen and the eggs at 7 and closed the mom in. Well she must have wanted to do her daily 15 min. leave the nest,and busted through the barrier I had keeping her in.the at 10:45 I went to check on her, and she was in the wrong nest box, and the incubator eggs I had put in with her were cold, (it is about 32 out) one had zipped and was still in egg. I put mom back on her eggs back, (I figure she should be good and stay with her eggs another 24 hrs. I brought in the zipped chick and popped off her egg. she was cold and not moving at all, I massaged her and called her Nancy, that is her egg name, and put a warm damp towel on her,
I kept massaging her and peeped to her, she has been moving around a bit, you see this pic has a bit of movement. I am going to keep an eye on her.Poor baby!

she is on heating pad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom