INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Addicted to Quack

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    You self-absorbed stinker! :smack
    :gig :lau :gig :lau

Man, give you a parade once and you never forget......
    ....but i'd be doin the same thing. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

No, I put a heat lamp over the bator and it maintained temp for the rest of the hatch. I think I lost some because of it, but not all. (if it hadn't, I was gathering stuff to make a hatcher)

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Smartazz[​IMG]

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I respectfully agree and disagree. I think the insulation did help the heater not work so hard.

ETA - I tested it with a stopwatch before and after to see how often the heater kicked on, and how long it maintained before kicking on again.

5. kwhites634

Good point!

6. kwhites634

CH
    You said you were confused, then you disappeared again. What's the problem? What's got you confused?

7. BYC910

BYC910 Crossing the Road

My older QGF is just half inch plywood and that is it. the temp stays right on and is steady as a rock and it doesn't matter where you have it . well must add I've only used the hatcher . the incubators with turners are not working now . just finished my hatch . used the Farm innovator to incubate and the GQF hatcher to hatch . I will not set again until my GQF incubators are up and running . set 30 12 clears 2 early quitters 14 lock down 9 hatched . the farm innovators are awful . if your thinking about buying take it off your list . they are ok if they are in a completely controlled environment but nowhere else .

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Ummm... need to get new pics, lol... and can't see the chicks yet worth a darn... Ohiki are a very short-legged, longtail bantam... they originated in Japan and they no longer allow their export anymore... very friendly and amazingly smart pretty bantams...

[​IMG]
    Ohiki pullet...

9. canadachickens

canadachickens Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Good evening everyone!
    Yes Sally, there were lots of very good hatches, even if you disregard Ur's lucky hatch!
    My first Hal experience on the other hand was brutal.
    33 set, 25 clears, I blood ring, 2 late quitters, 3 DIS, one on time hatch, and one assisted hatch this afternoon.
    I had 7 make it to lockdown, and then experience temp spikes over the next two days.
    I consider it lucky I got any at all out safely.
    Looking for another silkie Roo as we chat, I set another 20 silkie eggs on the 26th, candled this evening and the majority do not look good. Only found about six that show good veining so far. I will wait til day 14 to pull the plug on the questionable ones.

10. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Crowing

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Thank you!!!

And thank you!!!

And... thank and no thank you!!! Oh, I completely agree that insulation will help the heater not work so hard. That's a given. My point was that even without insulation, an incubator with a good controller will hold temps instep with one with good insulation. The most I saw mine vary was .6F... and in the environment I mentioned. It would more than likely fluctuate far less if it was in the center of the house where temps stay more stable. A good controller/heater will compensate for fluctuations is all I'm saying. When I upgrade to a larger incubator, I'll be using a similar controller/heater for my homemade unit... the big brother to my current controller/heater... the IncuKit Advanced. If you can't tell, I'm sold on the digital all-in-one progressive heater. Now I have to charge you 4c... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: