INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank goodness. My oldest daughter is responsible for the feeding and watering of the chickens (13yrs old responsibilities) so it may have happened in the part few days. She's been very good at checking on them all the time. With the way I work, she's been a big help with them. And loves to do it too (except when it's raining) but she still does it. She's hands on with the eggs too. Every time they lay an egg, she's quick to bring it in.
That's awesome. my 5 and 12 year old are usually very helpful with the chickens too - besides fighting over who gets to bring in the eggs.

they incubate for fun and learning process, unfortunatelythey have had 0 hatch in the last 3 attempts, but luckily i have connections lol
i also get to keep anything they hatch, or i find homes for them lol
That's pretty cool.

We homeschool, so this chicken thing originally started as a science project.... and snowballed from there. now it's a 4h project, a science project, a "we love eggs" project.... haha and a "just because it's fun" project.

I'm not confident we'll get any viable eggs/hatchable eggs... but I'm crossing my fingers. haha

Can ya see that one? It says the other is old. The moderate powder dose is 3/4 tsp/gallon. The severe is 1.5 tsp per gallon.
Correct! Then 7-14 days at 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
I think you will find that most people on BYC choose to treat for the severe outbreak, which means the 0.024% level.

First we need to know that the Corid sold in the US is labeled for cattle, not poultry, so that means the directions on the bag and bottle are for cattle. Labeled for cattle doesn't mean that we can't use in on other species, but that we need to figure out the proper dosing for other species.

Corid = Amprol = AmproMed. All are the same, so follow directions for them and you'll be just fine!

The 0.006% for dose Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The 0.006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose of 0.012% for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose of 0.012% for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose of 0.024% for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose of 0.024% for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Here are the mixing instructions for Amprol 128:

The AmproMed instructions are the same:

Now what? Now you have to decide if you want to treat for a moderate or severe outbreak, and I think you will find that most people on BYC choose to treat for the severe outbreak, which means the 0.024% level.

8 ounces of powder is 226.796185 grams. So it's 226.796185 grams ÷ 50 gallons = 4.5359237 grams per gallon. 4.5359237 x 200 mg = 907.18474 mg per gallon.

One ounce of these powders = 3.5 tablespoons.

One ounce = 28.3495 grams
3.5 tablespoons = 10.5 teaspoons
28.3495 grams x 200 mg ÷ 10.5 tsp = ~540 mg per tsp.

Desired .024% dose is 907.18474 mg per gallon, so it's 907.18474 / 540 = ~1.68 teaspoons per gallon

Here's the kicker... math shows that one teaspoon should weigh about 2.7 grams, but when I weighed it, it was much closer to 3 grams, so 3 grams x 200 mg x 1.5 tsp = 900mg, which is close enough to the target of 907 mg.

Hope this wasn't too confusing, and as usual, please check my math.
big_smile.png

So what all of the above shows is that the correct dose to treat a severe outbreak is absolutely no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon and probably not more than 1.75 teaspoons per gallon.

-Kathy

It was has more to do with their diet. For example, our neighbor who had Nubians, fed them alfalfa and a specific grain that was wheat-free. It tastes JUST like cows milk. And, i've had goats milk from people who's goats just eat whatever they wanted and it tasted foul.

Same with breastmilk - what I eat, will change the flavor of the milk, so if I eat a lot of garlic, it comes out with a garlic flavor/taste. or if I take fenugreek, which makes you smell like maple syrup, my milk will come out tasting sweeter, more like maple syrup. (I pump for my toddler so I can smell the milk lol)

My toddler won't drink it if i I eat a lot of garlic. so I've had to give up my obsession with putting garlic on everything. hehe.

So, depending on the goats, you can manipulate the flavor of the milk, based on what you feed them. ;)

I will say, that if you manage to figure out how to make them have chocolate milk, you'll be rich. :p

Otherwise, keep a bottle of Hershey's syrup in the fridge! LOL

Good point.

good for you!
i have that problem but its my husbands stupid dog

yep he finally did something with the eggs, now i can talk to him again

:duc
Good!

Quote:
barnie.gif
Grrr Good thing I don't make a living as a carpenter; I'd starve to death. At the very least, I wouldn't eat regularly. I screwed up the very first cut. Cut that board 3 times & it's still too short!
At least I only screwed up once; I'm reasonably sure more screw-ups will follow.
My mentor BIL left yesterday for 4 days in Lancaster, PA; I'm on my own, & it shows.
I should have stuck to building coops!

I went a little overboard buying seeds the other day. :oops:

Also got a big problem in my goat coop. Guess everyone has had enough of this wet ground.

And the littles came through the fence to visit me!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom