Incubator has been on 65% most of incubation

Duck_life

Duck Addict
May 14, 2019
Woods of PA
We're on day 18, and all but 7 eggs weren't fertile, (41/48), but we've had the humidity up at 55-65% the whole hatch, I've been gone and had someone else take care of them for me, and they told me the humidity has been up around 55-65 the whole time, so before they hatch is their anything I should look out for and what should I keep it on now? Thanks.

Are these duck eggs? It could have been too high throughout. Have you candled to see if the air cell is at the proper size?
Normally I take it up to about 65 at hatch time but if there hasn't been sufficient drawdown, that could be tricky. I would candle right away.

Are these duck eggs? It could have been too high throughout. Have you candled to see if the air cell is at the proper size?
Normally I take it up to about 65 at hatch time but if there hasn't been sufficient drawdown, that could be tricky. I would candle right away.
They're chicks. I have candled them and most of them are moving, but I didn't exactly check the air cells, more or less checked if the chick was moving. I took them out of the turner last night which is when I candled them.

i wouldnt worry if you can see a defined airpocket .. the small auto incubator with air circulator i got on ebay was very hard to control the humidity at 50% and stayed close to 75 with any water in it at all .. with no water it wanted to be like 30% .. so i just filled the 'inner trough' and let it eat at 75ish .. they came out fine ..

That is a bit high but I hope things really work out and they do survive. I never add water until lock down day. It usually stays between 25-30% then I go to 70% and they pip and hatch in no time. I know some incubators are different. Have you tried not adding any water and seeing what the humidity is inside the incubator?

Ya I agree, my last hatch was only at 50%, which is why I'm worried now.
What incubator are you using? Do you have a separate humidity tester and temp tester? Some incubators can be off and give you the wrong info. Are you rotating them correctly? At what stage did your eggs die last hatch? This will give you some idea of what could have went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom