Cnjecker

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Hello!

On day 14 of our attempt to hatch eggs in a borrowed incubator. We started with 6 eggs and are down to 4 that are alive and showing very promising signs (air cell growth, movement, etc.). The incubator that I have doesnt have a humidity setting so I’ve been guessing. As hatch day was nearing I purchased a hygrometer to help make sure I have the humidity level right so no one gets shrink wrapped in their egg. Upon doing so, it’s showing that the temp is 107 degrees F and increasing meanwhile the incubator gauge is unchanged.Bad news for me right? The incubator has read 38.1 degrees C throughout the entire incubation process thus far so I am worried now that it has been incorrect. What do you all think I should do?

Edited to add: incubator is located in a non-sunlight receiving spot on our kitchen countertop.

I’m not sure of the brand, it’s not labeled on the incubator itself and we weren’t given any manual or anything. I googled and I think it’s an “Anfan 7 Egg Incubator,” which is one you can purchase off of Amazon. There were no instructions on calibrating the hygrometer- it said to put in the battery and it’s ready to use and so I did haha!
Amazon incubators are inaccurate, fluctuating, junk, but some can be used with with extra work and accessories. it's not great that it doesn't have a built in hygrometer, since defects occur with the wrong humidity.
All thermometers/hygrometers need to be calibrated, very few are correct out of the package, especially when hatching. You can Google how to calibrate them. Unless you're leaving the lid off while making lunch, you're not really going to have to worry about shrink-wrapping.

What brand of incubator and did you calibrate the hygrometer?
I’m not sure of the brand, it’s not labeled on the incubator itself and we weren’t given any manual or anything. I googled and I think it’s an “Anfan 7 Egg Incubator,” which is one you can purchase off of Amazon- (edit) but there’s a ton more online that look just like the one I have too. There were no instructions on calibrating the hygrometer- it said to put in the battery and it’s ready to use and so I did haha!

Last edited:
Do you know if your incubator is still air or forced?
I’m unsure, it is borrowed and we weren’t given a manual unfortunately. I’ve attached a photo of the incubator to my reply to see if it helps determine.

Attachments

• A23CB07A-CE8F-484E-A1F8-6A74E591EF5E.jpeg
    A23CB07A-CE8F-484E-A1F8-6A74E591EF5E.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 6
Amazon incubators are inaccurate, fluctuating, junk, but some can be used with with extra work and accessories. it's not great that it doesn't have a built in hygrometer, since defects occur with the wrong humidity.
All thermometers/hygrometers need to be calibrated, very few are correct out of the package, especially when hatching. You can Google how to calibrate them. Unless you're leaving the lid off while making lunch, you're not really going to have to worry about shrink-wrapping.
Gotcha! I figured as much once I read the reviews of the majority of them. Hubby didn’t want me spending ”too much” money on an incubator so borrowing this one was my only option. I turn the eggs 5 times a day and make sure to refill the water reservoir. What sort of defects may occur if the humidity is too high?

Gotcha! I figured as much once I read the reviews of the majority of them. Hubby didn’t want me spending ”too much” money on an incubator so borrowing this one was my only option. I turn the eggs 5 times a day and make sure to refill the water reservoir. What sort of defects may occur if the humidity is too high?
Organs on the outside of the body, neurological issues, eye issues, leg issues, missing or poorly formed parts, etc. But that's only happens after very high humidity, like 70% and higher the whole incubator and it's not likely to be that high. They'll like be fine unless the temperature is climbing. Do you have a human thermometer and can poke under the lid for a minute?

Back
Top Bottom