Incubator mishap

That's great! Congrats!!

Thank you!!
1f604.png

What breed of hen? If she's a dp henx they will all fit under her. Unless you are selling them as day olds, let her do the work.

After dark, just remove the eggs and replace them with the chicks.

What breed of hen? If she's a dp henx they will all fit under her. Unless you are selling them as day olds, let her do the work.

After dark, just remove the eggs and replace them with the chicks.

She is a Barred Rock. Unfortunately I only have room to keep 3, my friend is taking the rest. I did go out this evening and carefully was able to get the eggs removed and chicks under her. Praying for her to do good and to find happy healthy chicks when I check in the morning.

Next question, when do I open the crate door to allow her to introduce them to the rest of the flock?

I keep mine separate in a small dog pen with the hen. My hens free range from dawn to dusk so too dangerous to be out with the flock. Its going to depend upon the dynamics of your flock and your setup.

I keep mine separate in a small dog pen with the hen. My hens free range from dawn to dusk so too dangerous to be out with the flock. Its going to depend upon the dynamics of your flock and your setup.

Got Ya. In my research I've decided it's easiest to let her raise them in the coop with the flock. Right now they are in a dog crate on the coop floor. I figured when the time is right I would open the door and let her decide when she wants to introduce them. But I also worry about them going up and down the ramp from the coop to the run. I have so many thoughts and ideas but I just don't know what's right or what will work best. Lol. Newbie anxiety! She is one of 11 hens, my Roo is gone.

Here is Ms Bernice and the 3 chicks she's raising.

The other 10 chicks went to live with my friend and her children.

Back
Top Bottom