Incubator to brooder

Socc04b

Chirping
Aug 2, 2016
So far I only have 1 chick hatched, no pips on the others. 24 hours after first hatch. When should I move her over? Will it being shocking to her system to go from a 99.5 degree humid incubator to a 95 degree dry brooder? Especially if she’s alone? I has the brooder holding steady at 95, but I could move the light to increase for transition if needed. She’s little, but walking, cleaning, pecking...

That won't be a shock. In fact you can go below 95. I usually start chicks at 90 but that is with multiple chicks. For a lone chick you may want to be over that for a day or two till it is able to self regulate its temperature.
I might add that you don't want the entire brooder at 95. They only need a warm spot and plenty of cool space so they can select their comfort zone. That is how a mother hen does it. Keeping an entire brooder at a high temperature can slow their development and feathering.

That won't be a shock. In fact you can go below 95. I usually start chicks at 90 but that is with multiple chicks. For a lone chick you may want to be over that for a day or two till it is able to self regulate its temperature.
I might add that you don't want the entire brooder at 95. They only need a warm spot and plenty of cool space so they can select their comfort zone. That is how a mother hen does it. Keeping an entire brooder at a high temperature can slow their development and feathering.
Perfect, thank you.

Everyone does things a little different. I've never hatched chickens but I've hatched around a thousand pheasants and quail. I prefer to keep my brooder a little warmer around 100F (or even a little higher) when they first get moved in. What you want is a hot end and a cooler end. This way the chick can position itself where it is most comfortable. Too hot is better than too cold as long as they can escape the heat.

90 or 95 may work just fine. You just need to watch the chick after moving to the brooder and it will tell you what it needs. If it's directly under the light and shivering it's too cold. If it's staying at the far end of the brooder away from the heat then it is too hot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom