INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

How old were they when you moved them out? I have silkies and jaerhon chicks. I'm thinking about moving my jaerhons out to the chicken shed this weekend, but since silkies feather out differently, I wasn't sure how old they should be before I move them to the shed where the heat lamp is further away from them. I will be happy to have my dining room table back, since it is covered up with brooders at this time!
They just went out today. The adults were outside until November. The 2 month and 5 month old juvies were born and raised inside the house in October, so this is their first time outside. I have been gradually lowering the temperature in the room they were in, and since it was sunny and decent out today, and not super cold tonight, we moved them out. They are in my large fowls summer coop until I get a shed for them. Our little silkie coop is to small for 18 silkies. We will see tomorrow how they all do. I have been worried about respiratory issues, I hope that doesn't happen. I think they should be fine. Its very dry inside. When they pile up like that the generate a lot of heat.

Our first baby to hatch out of this hatch. It a modern banty.
yvyzaqa9.jpg

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

About 6:30 tonight I was standing in the kitchen looking out the back window and saw a flock of geese land in the field behind us. A little bit later it struck me that they didn't look quite like geese. So I got out my binoculars and my bird book. I realized that instead they were sandhill cranes! A flock of 13 of them! We're about a couple counties west of their normal migratory path. I looked up on line & saw that Jaspar/Pulaski counties have a huge migration landing area with 1000s landing there. I thought it was really cool that we had some here. They stayed in the corn field for about an hour before they flew off. I'll be watching tomorrow to see if they come back.

So, I asked DH last night if we should just go ahead and get a Frizzle Orp chick when our bantams come in May, and he said "But then we won't have enough laps for everyone." Because we are getting six chicks and there are six of us in the family.
leslea~ And you were worried that your DH wouldn't like having chicks! You don't even have them yet, but he has plans for lap chickens.

I don't remember who originally posted this picture but... guess what...that's right I have one! It was GIVEN to me...yay!!!!
1f61c.png
The rich peeps who purchased it from our local feed stores catalog (sight unseen) were dissatisfied with it after it arrived. I happened t b there when they went in to pick it up on Saturday. The feed store employees had assembled it for them and I was saying how it would b nice for a grow out pen for my chicks.
When I was told it was sold, I told them it didn't matter because I wouldn't b able to afford something like that anyway. The owners decided to go back t the catalogs, found a much larger one t purchase and told the stores owner to give it to that nice lady who was admiring it...lol that would be ME! Yippee!!! Yappee!!! Yahooo ooo eee! THANK YOU RICH PEOPLE (who have enough money to share with others!!!) my bitties will b enjoying it as soon as I can find a pickup truck to get it home.
chick rookie ~ That's wonderful! You've had a rough winter, and you're certainly a deserving chicken mom! I bet you'll pass along an act of kindness to someone else. Most acts of kindness are "priceless."
smile.png

Quote: CCHICKENS~ Haha! That reminds me of when Adeline was so excited that she found something special and was running around with something in her mouth that turned out to be an old leathery, flattened mouse. When I posted about this not too long ago, I meant to add that I quickly grabbed it and threw it in the trash! When I glanced back at her, she was scratching around looking for it. ha
Good luck to Cluck Acres, iamfivewire, ellymayRans, raisinemright (and probably many more members) on your hatches!

Last edited:
Quote: Don't you worry on it at all. You have the right to speak your mind and I will go nuts if they mess with you.

Well not a one of my partridge brahmas hatched! I'm blaming the power outage. They were internally pipped, but never made it out. Now I need to decide whether I want to pursue trying hatching eggs again or just buy chicks. I'm already out so much money on these stupid birds lol. I just out some light brahma eggs into lockdown. Hope I have better luck with them.
Oh no, so sorry to hear it
hugs.gif
wishing good hatching vibes next round!

No chicks yet. I had hoped this wouldn't happen. Crossing my fingers they are just behind. A lot of people on other threads have been posting about chicks and adults lost in transit

Thats scary. Hopefully the order is delayed.
The silkies are outside!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Checking out their temporary digs

aww, the look so interested, I bet they settle in quick!

I'm sooo good about refraining from the temptations lingering at my local RK but lo and behold my first time ever in the Btown RK and couldn't help myself but bought up the last 9 YES 9 lol Silkies they had! LOL I was going to get eggs from Kab...all along that was my plan but I have been coaching and supplying my aunt with her new addiction and she loved my Silkie boy ...which is all I have now...and so I'm gracefully blaming her for my purchase. I did it for her! So now she can have one too! She's starting small. I gave her 2 of my laying RIR girls a frizzled Cochin bantam pullet and she will be getting one of my newly hatched BCM & AM & a Silkie. She's all set!
Not sure of the colors but here's a pic of the cuties!

of course they are all of the little white/yellow dots down there amongst the BCMs etc...

Back
Top Bottom