Indianapolis,IN Marion County Fair...Set-up for 2011 Open Class!

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Ok it might be a little bit to early for this since it is next year in July LOL, but I want to plan for it next year. This year it was pretty darn sad in Open Class because there was only 6 birds and 4 of those belonged to one guy. Sad isn't it? Well my friend and I are going to take over Open Class for the 2011 Fair. I am hoping to get ATLEAST 15 people with maybe 3 birds each but waaaaaaaay more is welcome
smile.png

Trophies

THESE ARE NOT CHEEP TROPHIES...lol
Since this is Open Class and there may not be very many 4-Hers (they can show in Open Class and that would be awesome
big_smile.png
) There will be 5 trophies for the following catagories: Champion Bantam, Champion Standard, Champion Waterfowl, Champion Turkey, and Best in Show which the 4 Champions will go head to head. Here are the trophies that will be for the Champions and Best in Show:
Champion Bantam and Standard will get one like these (the dates are wrong though):
16241_chicken_trophy2.png

Champion Water fowl and Turkey( a turkey will be on the top and I couldn't find a duck or goose
sad.png
):
16241_chicken_trophy3.png

And the Best in Show will get this:
16241_chicken_trophy.png

Ribbons and Rosettes

I am still working with the same place that the trophies are coming from. There will be Champion and Reserve Champion rosettes (not cheep either lol) and the 1st (blue) and 2nd(red) ribbions will be the same that the Fair gets. I will get pictures of them once I know what they look like. The place is going to contact me on Monday.

Catagories for the birds

Standard Breeds- Cock,Hen,Cockerel,and Pullet
Bantam Breeds- Cock,Hen,Cockerel, and Pullet
Brooding and Raising Pair- Standard Breeds only
Raising Pullets or Hens(I can't remember the names right)- 2 Pullets or 2 hens together
Laying Pullet or Hen- 1 Pullet or 1 Hen
Half a dozen eggs (6)- Any breed, must be presented in a carton
Ducks
Geese (only seen 1 goose entered there within the past 3 years
sad.png
)
Turkeys (I've seen maybe 5 different turkeys there in the past 3 years, 3 was entered this year only 1 new one though)
Years ago I heard we did have a peacock there and guineas so anyone is welcome to bring them, I don't think they will be judged though.

NPIP

*Based on 2010*
You must have paperwork showing that you have had your birds nested. If you haven't had them tested there will be a tester there but it will cost $5 for 3 birds (I believe). Also make sure your birds are free of lice and mites.

Sponsers and Donations

So far all of this money for the trophies and the rosettes is coming out of my own pocket. I would love love love! to get some donations! If any company would want a banner hung up in the poultry barn just bring it when you come with the your birds. I would love to get the BYC Banner for this but it is aways off
smile.png

Food and Drinks

We might be having a food Pitch-In the day of the judging but not sure what day the juding will be on. It was on a Tuesday morning this year... Going to try and get it pushed back to Saturday morning because people are working during the week.

List of people

So far these are the people that said they might be showing at the Fair and the number of birds they might be bringing (got these from the IN Chickenstock)
smile.png
:

1.) 1crazychicken 2-3birds
2.) Chicken_china_mom ? birds
3.) PhoenixFeatherFarms 5-10 birds
4.) Coopcrazy 10 birds
5.) K2 Chickens
6.) lildinkem 12-24 birds
7.) Schultz 2-4 birds
8). mpurpo 10+ birds

Thats all I can think of for now lol..

Last edited:
I need to get a recent copy of the Standard of Perfection so that I know what colors and what breeds I can show. Can anyone tell me what colors of Polish are allowed, and what colors of Silkies and Bantam Cochins I can show? The Polish I got yesterday is Buff Laced, and the Silkie colors I'm interested in showing would be White, Partridge, Blue, Black, and possibly Splash. Cochin colors I would show are White, Blue, Black, Partridge, Splash, Barred, and Black Mottled. Course I wouldn't take ALL those, lol, that's A LOT of birds to haul that far, but I like to know what my options are ahead of time!

Polish: White crested black and blue; Golden,silver,white and buff laced
Silkie: black,white,blue,partridge,buff,gray
Cochin: buff,partridge,white,black,silver and gold laced,blue,brown,barred

Those are what I pulled out of my book, but if you have a mottled or something you can bring. He judged my Serama and their not even reconized yet
smile.png

I know nothing at all about showing chickens. Do they have to be really tame? Can you show just a rooster or does it have to be with a hen, as a pair, or vice versa? How would I know if a chicken is good enough to show. I have shown cats before and they have to be registered and have pedigrees. Is it the same for chickens? Is there anyone close to St. Meinrad that could help me with this? Do you have to have your own cages or are those provided. This si all totally new to me, but I would like to show if I can.

Quote:
There is a book called the Poultry Standard of Perfection, and it sets down all the standards for which you can show birds. I just can't afford the book since it costs $50, depending on where you get it. It tells you how many points the comb should have for the particular breed, what is allowed as far as colors, how the bird's beak comb, legs, etc. should look, and the list goes on and on. It's a BIG book. And if you look on Amazon and other websites you can find books on actually showing birds. I'm actually excited about the prospect of showing birds. Got a nice spot on the mantle for those trophies, lol!

Thank you AttackChicken for letting me know what colors are allowed. It gives me a starting point to begin picking out birds that might be show quality. I believe that I have a show quality Bantam White Cochin cockerel, and I'd like to show him. Was going to sell him, but maybe AFTER I show him. That way he can earn his keep, lol!

Quote:
What all needs to be done in order to show? So that I can get an idea? I know the birds have to be tested, but what else? Can't afford the books just yet on showing, so I thought I'd ask.
smile.png

Quote:
What all needs to be done in order to show? So that I can get an idea? I know the birds have to be tested, but what else? Can't afford the books just yet on showing, so I thought I'd ask.
smile.png

The testing is free from me. I am doing it as a favor for the club.
Far as preparing, depends on the breed. Cochins are a pain cause of them foot feathers. I have a boy, and it MAYBE his last show here at the fair. I am a late entry and had no intention on showing anything at our State Fair, but found out that the significance of keeping our Fairs Poultry Shows buildings full.
To be honest I only shown twice. I am sure their are other folks who are way more detail oriented on their conditioning program then me. I keep my birds in small 8' by 8' portable pens. On the grass. Fresh water food daily. just the normal care you would give your babies anyway. A week before the show, bathe and look for bugs. I don't use soap. I just hose them down to wash them off and then take a diluted solution of Glycerin and water to spray bottle on them. The oils from the Glycerin is vegatble based and great for the sheen. Some people will bring small brushes to make sure after they put the bird into the cage all the feathers are strait. Again, I just put my birds into the cage. lolol I don't do much in the way of primping my birds. But, I suggest you do. Don't live what I do, live what I say and you'll do great. lololol

Quote:
Tame?
lau.gif
Some of the 4-Hers birds almost broke their necks getting away from the judge LOL I don't believe the judge really cares about tame or not but I guess the tamer the better. Thats what I forgot to put lol the catagories! Duh me! I'll update the main post! The cages will be there just bring food and water dishes for each of your birds.

Back
Top Bottom