Individuals willing to help process by state, area

Deserthound- This is a great idea you have. I'm surprised it hasn't received more responses. There are tons of us out here that want to learn from someone who has experience in processing before trying to go it on our own without hands-on training. After raising, hatching more, and caring for our chickens, it is only right to go to the next step in the proper, most humane way. Laniered- we are right up the Mississippi Coast from y'all in Pass Christian, though you can see by my username I was born and raised in Biloxi. I even asked the County Agent's office in Bay St. Louis if they had any information on locals that processed birds or taught anyone willing to learn. They didn't have anybody on file. Surely there has got to be someone out in every community willing to do it for a fee, or teach a class to small flock owners. By the way, the spreadsheet you made is a fantastic start, and job well done. We just saw it the other night, and figured you would be overwhelmed with responses. Come on Mississippi- let's see some names on the list!!

Name: Jen
State: Michigan
Area: Shiawassee County, between Lansing and Flint
Equipment available: All I need to process beginning to end by hand (killing, plucking, gutting, bagging).

I'll do another class or two with this next meat batch in Oct/Nov, which is free - just come over and we'll go through the whole thing on my chickens, hands on work is encouraged
smile.png

Also have a blog:

http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, no kidding! I wound up talking to a county extension agent in Corinth, I think, trying to find someone with advice before my first cull. And talking to people at MSU's "Department of Poultry Science" - which is a real department, and surprised me, and apparently I'm weird to be surprised by this because it doesn't seem to surprise anyone else - about the best way to cull.

They were all solidly on the cervical dislocation page, and said that when it's done correctly they bleed out into the gap left, without cutting the throat. Which, admittedly, would be much easier to handle.

I haven't heard from anyone else in the area. When you're ready to cull next, let me know - and one of us will learn from the other, I guess! I don't mind coming to the Pass to help ya'll, even if you just need another set of hands. I finally figured out how to get out lungs without cutting the whole bird in pieces, so I'm an expert! (gah!)

(and let me know when I can just come love your babies, too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
BYC user name: cjstanman
Given name: Jan
State: North Carolina
Area: Raleigh
Equipment: Killing cone, chicken catcher (like a small version of a shepherd's crook to catch them by the legs), stainless steel restaurant-style double sink, turkey fryer (only used for scalding chickens), knives, poultry shears, buckets, bleach/water spray bottle
Notes: Processed 30+ chickens, have helped my neighbor with about 20 more. I skin them since I don't have a plucker and plucking by hand takes forever, lol. We will be making an automatic plucker in the near future though.

Hi,,Max in lenoir North carolina,anyone need help getting started near me give me a shout,I will be glad to help someone get started,I process my own started,Just be willing to learn from pen to cooling tub

Given name: Jamie

State: Washington

Area: Kitsap County -- willing to travel though

Equipment: Large coolers, scalder + propane heater, knives, processing table.

Notes: We have processed many chickens and rabbits. Willing to teach or participate with other animals too. Rabbits, Chickens, Turkeys, Quail.

Back
Top Bottom