Infection in leg from pellet gun

Tplush

Hatching
Jul 23, 2017
A week ago today one of our hens was shot about Midway the leg with a pellet gun. Broke the skin and she was bleeding pretty good, but after reading about how chickens heal pretty well on their own I cleaned it up and wrapped it. The past week she was usually laying down and if she did move it was on one leg. Today I checked her leg and her whole foot is swollen. I have done research on bumble foot and in this case their is no obvious area to remove a cyst. The whole area below the wound is swollen. The wound itself on the let doesn't look bad but is tender to her when I touch it. The swollen foot doesn't really bother her. Concerned now that it's been a week.

Give electrolytes homade or store bought
Put her in a dog crate full if some soft bedding
Get a picture of the pad of the for so we can be sure its not also bumble foot.
But her on chick feed
Clean it and wrap it up again

Agreed with nicked bone or tendon

And who the heck shot her!!!!!!!!

Dont matter who shot her. I shot my guinea once. was trying to shoot a different one and got my male instead. I winged him and never could get the pellet out. I was going to eat the one I was aiming for. I never tried again .Anyway, My male would take spells bleeding every once in a blue moon but lived with that pellet in him the rest of his life.
Welcome to BYC, I dont know how to help but I wish you the best. ( I have boys too)

Dont matter who shot her. I shot my guinea once. was trying to shoot a different one and got my male instead. I winged him and never could get the pellet out. I was going to eat the one I was aiming for. I never tried again .Anyway, My male would take spells bleeding every once in a blue moon but lived with that pellet in him the rest of his life.
Welcome to BYC, I dont know how to help but I wish you the best. ( I have boys too)
I heard the old timers would take a chicken by the head and 'crack the whip' to decapitate them. A bullet isn't always the best or most efficient way. Especially a pellet gun. Those won't even kill a wasp.

all true, I learned my lesson. This was long ago before I even had internet and honestly thought a bullet to the head would be humane . And I think it would be with the right gun and a good aim. I had neither.
There's a turkey bullet called a "jelly head" that can make a gobbler's head nonexistent. But then again, we can't get our hands on a wild turkey.

Back
Top Bottom