Infectious Coryza and chickens, Its like a severe cold.

How long does it take for the smell to be there? I got a brown leghorn on Saturday and notice today (Monday) that one side of her face seems swollen and she keeps that eye mostly closed. The eye is a little watery and that nostril is running. Not sure if its coryza but I have moved her to the basement until I know what it is and what to do.

Check the inside of her mouth for pus.

-Kathy

Thank You all, very much. Your guidance,advice,debates and opinions are valued and appreciated. I had a fire this afternoon, them,
all their bedding and their little food dishes etc. I am now dechickened and its so very quiet. Well, for the next few months anyway. Take Care Now~

I had a brooder full of chicks infected with Coryza once. Purchased some from a breeder and added them into the brooder directly. Turns out, they had infectious Coryza, and spread it to ALL of the chicks. I had to cull every single one. It was a heart wrenching (wallet choking) and sad experience, but a good one. I've learned now that quarantine is essential.

So I think that my chickens may have come down with this. My vet has tested the first hen for everything under the sun and culture results were normal. I really don't want to cull my flock because they were all raised from chicks and are pets as well. Is this something that they catch from wild birds or would new chicks bring this in. I quarantined the new babies for over a month before moving them into the coop...the rest of my birds free range in my back yard. The babies have all been healthy with no problems. My concern is I have 2 broody hens that are expected to hatch chicks this weekend and I now have 4 sick birds. Any recommendations? I will be keeping the broodies inside with their chicks, but am terrified to loose the new babies.

I saved the eggs after I was forced to cull them all. I incubated them and they had Coyra too. Having to cull them was a heartbreaking deal. I sobbed so hard my husband came running out. He then stupidly tried to tell me how to do it, of which, got him yelled at and some stuff was thrown at him, so he decided to finish culling them himself. I will always feel sad that I had to kill The Sweetest Little Boy. I hand raised him, he grew up in my living-room and even my husband thought he was awesome. He was a much loved member of our family. Although he appeared healthy he was a carrier. There is some degree of risk with every endeavor. For you and I, this time, its our hearts. Im sorry honey. Know that you are not alone. ~

I have been told they can get it from wild birds although I have not done any research on this myself. I owned my chickens for months with no signs in the beginning, it wasnt until the cold stressed them that the symptoms came out, or they caught it from wild birds months after I got them. This year I will have a top on the coop, and until I know whether or not they were sick when I got them, I wont be free ranging em. I will be moving them around by tractor.

I would like to know if I should cull my entire flock of 6 week old chicks. I got them from a local hatchery and have already lost 75% of them to infectious coryza. I culled 6 more this morning. I have some that seem healthy and have never shown any signs but this has been ongoing for 4 weeks now. I would like someone's opinion who is open to culling. We are trying to become selfsustaining farmers, so I cannot afford to nurse sick chickens to healthy only to have them infect new birds

Karen, how do you know it is Infectious Coryza, did you smell a rotten smell coming from the nasal discharge?

I would like to know if I should cull my entire flock of 6 week old chicks. I got them from a local hatchery and have already lost 75% of them to infectious coryza. I culled 6 more this morning. I have some that seem healthy and have never shown any signs but this has been ongoing for 4 weeks now. I would like someone's opinion who is open to culling. We are trying to become selfsustaining farmers, so I cannot afford to nurse sick chickens to healthy only to have them infect new birds
Welcome to BYC. What are their symptoms? I wouldn't think that newly hatched chicks could get coryza without being exposed to it from other sick chickens brought in. What are their conditions where they are raised? Is there an ammonia smell or mold in the environment (wet shavings, feed, damp conditions in a coop?) Have they been raised in a brooder with a heat lamp? More information is needed.

They get weepy eyes with foamy stuff in them. Their eyes then were swollen shut and crusty and they had mucous coming from their noses. Yes once it reached the stage where their eyes were crusty and noses runny it smelled really bad. That is what made me think it was Croyza. We got these chicks from a local hatchery and within days of bringing them home they started dying. They have had multiple things going on which caused us to lose some of them, but this stuff with the eyes is what we have not been able to clear up. I just do not know if I should cull them all or wait for symptoms. It is very nerve racking as I have to keep them separate from my other chickens. I do not want to be worried about every new chick I bring in contracting this mess.

Back
Top Bottom