Injured Canada Goose. What should I do?

Pics
That is so incredibly kind of you to even consider. Wow! You really touched my heart. Not many people would consider it, but yes it's a long drive for us & even more so for a wild animal. That's why I always think long and hard on this. I tried contacting some rehabbers about some of these injured geese but they always tell me to contact CWF. I didn't see her today anyway, so I suspect she walked back across the road to the gated community where the geese sleep on the large lakes. I worried the babies wouldn't be back after the sawmill ruckus but they came to eat today although a little later than normal. Miss Goose didn't follow them. I received an invitation to join the gated community on the "Next Door" app. From what I've seen so far, they seem to be chatty on this app. If I don't see Miss Goose tomorrow, I think I'll post on this app about her. Only problem is the other people will figure out I'm the lady with the big mouth roosters 😂 (They really are mouthy boys and I've got several but they're my pets) It's not a problem since I don't live in the community but I imagine my boys and I have come up at some HOA meetings ☺️
Thanks again for even thinking about that. That was so kind of you. I think it's even farther away for you than it is me 😕 But I seriously appreciate you looking into it and the time you invested into trying to help 💜
Animals see me as a sucker. They can pick me out from a mile away! I've had animals all my life and never looked for any until I got chickens. Dogs and cats always 'found' me. Of course they always needed vet treatment for something. Strays or one somebody didn't want.
As for Miss Goose, maybe she was just meant to be a special wild goose. She's done ok evidently so far. I hope she's near others like her and the young ones are doing good too.
Also, it's not so bad being a crazy chicken lady with a rooster crew!
I think it's pretty cool!😎 Let'em talk.

Anyone know what the chances are for a juvenile goose with a large portion of its top bill missing, surviving in the wild? The geese are still coming to visit me each day. They usually eat and hang out for a short while and then start back towards the lakes. I was working today but kept an eye out for them because I didn't get to see them yesterday. They were here because I always make sure they have food but I didn't get to hang out with them. I was able to take a break from work today and visit with them at the pond for a while. I noticed one goose was way off by itself so I decided to take some corn to it, especially knowing how aggressive geese can be. This goose was very petite (weight looked good but of course I didn't get my hands on it) but fully feathered without fuzz so I feel sure that it's a baby from this year. It had its bill to the ground steadily but something was off. It picked its head up to look at me heading towards it and I noticed a LARGE part of the top bill was completely gone. It looks like it's gone right past the nares, so probably more than half. There was no blood and no other injuries that I could see. This poor goose was trying so hard to pick up the food. Honestly, it was probably the most heart breaking thing I've seen in the years with these geese. I suspect this happened somewhat recently since it's not figured out how to scoop up the food but it's been long enough that the Goose is desperately trying to eat without pain stopping it. It keeps a good bit of distance away from the gaggle, but I stayed until the adults decided it was time to leave and was hoping to have a chance at getting it to eat. The gaggle noticed this one was still way back so they headed back and some of the other juveniles started calling for it, in their odd teenage like voice 😍. Since I had to get back to work and I wasn't exactly sure about what I should do anyway, I decided I'd try to figure something out before they return tomorrow. The Goose is able to break off long greens, like some of the weeds and grasses around the pond, but it's obvious it's really hungry. Obviously staying hydrated doesn't seem to be a problem. I'll call CWF tomorrow to see what they say but, anyone have any ideas? My heart is absolutely broken for this sweet baby but I'm much better off than the little goose. I'd really like to help it if I can. I'm not sure if this goose will thrive in the wild. I really hope it's possible because even though I'd love to have my own Canada Goose, I wouldn't remove one from the wild unless it's life depended on it (and I had permits, permission, all the stuff that goes along with it). Any thoughts or ideas?
@Miss Lydia @Goosebaby @Isadora
@swampfox440 @NanaK

Anyone know what the chances are for a juvenile goose with a large portion of its top bill missing, surviving in the wild? The geese are still coming to visit me each day. They usually eat and hang out for a short while and then start back towards the lakes. I was working today but kept an eye out for them because I didn't get to see them yesterday. They were here because I always make sure they have food but I didn't get to hang out with them. I was able to take a break from work today and visit with them at the pond for a while. I noticed one goose was way off by itself so I decided to take some corn to it, especially knowing how aggressive geese can be. This goose was very petite (weight looked good but of course I didn't get my hands on it) but fully feathered without fuzz so I feel sure that it's a baby from this year. It had its bill to the ground steadily but something was off. It picked its head up to look at me heading towards it and I noticed a LARGE part of the top bill was completely gone. It looks like it's gone right past the nares, so probably more than half. There was no blood and no other injuries that I could see. This poor goose was trying so hard to pick up the food. Honestly, it was probably the most heart breaking thing I've seen in the years with these geese. I suspect this happened somewhat recently since it's not figured out how to scoop up the food but it's been long enough that the Goose is desperately trying to eat without pain stopping it. It keeps a good bit of distance away from the gaggle, but I stayed until the adults decided it was time to leave and was hoping to have a chance at getting it to eat. The gaggle noticed this one was still way back so they headed back and some of the other juveniles started calling for it, in their odd teenage like voice 😍. Since I had to get back to work and I wasn't exactly sure about what I should do anyway, I decided I'd try to figure something out before they return tomorrow. The Goose is able to break off long greens, like some of the weeds and grasses around the pond, but it's obvious it's really hungry. Obviously staying hydrated doesn't seem to be a problem. I'll call CWF tomorrow to see what they say but, anyone have any ideas? My heart is absolutely broken for this sweet baby but I'm much better off than the little goose. I'd really like to help it if I can. I'm not sure if this goose will thrive in the wild. I really hope it's possible because even though I'd love to have my own Canada Goose, I wouldn't remove one from the wild unless it's life depended on it (and I had permits, permission, all the stuff that goes along with it). Any thoughts or ideas?
@Miss Lydia @Goosebaby @Isadora
@swampfox440 @NanaK
I once saw someone with an African that had its top bill missing, he was only able to feed himself by eating out of a tall dish that had a lot of feed in it, basically he would stuff his whole face into it and shovel as best he could.
I’m not sure if it was him or another goose, but there was a goose that was missing it’s top bill that had a prosthetic bill printed and attached to his face.

Unfortunatly for a goose in the wild this disability isn’t survivable. The kindest thing would be to put them down if nothing else can be done.

It’s possible she could get a prosthetic made for her, but she would need to be pinioned and live out her days as a captive bird.

I found more

Looking at that last one as well as Bruce Bruce, a prosthetic would make lidfe easier, but life is possible without it, in captivity.

So being wild and protected by the migratory bird act makes things a bit more complicated, but being a bird that can’t reasonably survive in the wild also opens doors that were closed. Non releasable birds can be put into the care of approved people by rehabbers.

So if saving this bird is important to you and you are willing to care for this bird you should contact a rehabbers, explain the situation and that you’re willing to care for the bird and see if they’re willing to remove the bird from the wild into your care or to a sanctuary.

Worst case scenario they’ll choose to euthanize, which like I said would be a mercy compared to starvation.

I once saw someone with an African that had its top bill missing, he was only able to feed himself by eating out of a tall dish that had a lot of feed in it, basically he would stuff his whole face into it and shovel as best he could.
I’m not sure if it was him or another goose, but there was a goose that was missing it’s top bill that had a prosthetic bill printed and attached to his face.

Unfortunatly for a goose in the wild this disability isn’t survivable. The kindest thing would be to put them down if nothing else can be done.

It’s possible she could get a prosthetic made for her, but she would need to be pinioned and live out her days as a captive bird.
This is what I was afraid of 😢 I'd love to care for the Goose, but I guess we'll see what CWF says. I plan on calling them first thing in the morning & hopefully form a plan before they return late morning/early afternoon. Being extremely hungry might benefit the Goose in quickly learning to eat. I really hope it's back tomorrow. I always worry about those that stray so far from the others. Thank you so much for this information 💜 I did try to pile up corn for this goose but I think it's going to have to be fed from a container to avoid it from just spreading food all over the place. Thanks again!

I'm so sorry for the young goose! It is very difficult to see wildlife injured. The only experience I have with birds are the chickens although I want some ducks. 🦆🦆🦆
I really hope somehow this baby can get the help he needs. Sounds like you are already on the right track with some really good advice.
I wish I had something to add. Maybe CWR will be able to help or at least make feeding suggestions. Can they eat wet feed? Please keep us updated.

Have you seen the Canadian goose with the odd wing again?

Back
Top Bottom