Injured Chicken

rhino5150

Hatching
Jul 21, 2017
I have a chicken with an injured leg and am not sure how to treat her. She is not really using the leg and more just walks on it like a crutch if at all. I have attached a couple of photos. She is about 4 months old. Any suggestions?
IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG

Hi @rhino5150 Welcome To BYC

Do you know how this happened - was the foot shut in a door or caught in something?
Is the rest of the leg o.k. - any swelling or twisting of the leg or joint?
Can you post a photo of her standing up?

You can try soaking in an epsom salts bath and apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound. Keeping her activity restricted by placing her on clean, dry bedding in a cage or kennel next to the flock may be helpful. She may be injuring it more if she is trying to keep up with the others.

My guess would be that she is walking on her knuckle or dragging the knuckle, to cause an injury like that. I see that sort of damage quite a bit with Marek's birds. I wonder if that is what the OP is meaning about using it as a crutch?

Oh and welcome from me too! Sorry, I didn't spot that you were new!

Whatever it is, I am sure it will heal. Did she get it injured such as... Getting it caught? Doesn't really look like a disease. Was she limping at all? Like can she walk? If a she is walking and doing fine then it is not mareks.

I wasn't necessarily meaning it was Marek's disease, but just that it looks like damage from walking or trailing the knuckle, which is something I see with some of my Marek's sufferers. That said, the bird is at the prime age for Marek's and the OP
states "She is not really using the leg...." which sounds like limping or partial paralysis to me.
If the OP is able to give us more information and ideally post a video of how the bird moves, that would be helpful.....

Oh and welcome from me too! Lot's of knowledgeable, helpful, friendly people and useful, information here on BYC. I have learned masses since I joined.

She walks on it but curls up the foot and uses her leg at the joint to move around. I am not sure how she injured it.

I also have an injured hen unfortunately she was not acting off or anything. My coops window was broke into by a raccoon (these things are smart) but after loosing 7 in less than 2 weeks I pretty much made the coop fort Knox with bars on Windows and all.
Any how after I lost the last 1 on Thursday the rest went about their business. On Saturday evening I noticed while giving them a treat this one's wing looked weird I got as close as I could with the rooster on guard and I noticed a gash. Not sure what I should do besides watch it since she is eating and acting normal. Any suggestions? I was told to try seasoning salt to clean it and help it heal? Tried posting a picture can't figure it out

You can try splinting or taping the foot straight. I'm not sure how much it will help since it sounds like she has been injured for a while.

If the wound is from her dragging it, you need to restrict her activity and at least cover that wound before it gets infected. Clean it everyday and apply a triple antibiotic ointment. She may benefit from being placed in a sling each day for several hours to keep her off the foot while it heals.

Offer Bvitamins and see that she is eating/drinking well.

900x900px-LL-20778a8a_chickensling-500x276.jpeg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

Back
Top Bottom