Injured Chicken

mercuriously

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2018
Today, midday, two small gray, unidentified mammals got in, killed one chicken, and gravely injured the other. I gave the injured chicken a shot of corticoid and it's been almost 6 hours and she's still alive and breathing steadily, although laying down on her side with her eyes closed. She had rasping breathing before and salivated, but her breathing is more normal now, and no more mucus/saliva. I still can't even figure out how bad the injury is. It was in the butt area... Not too much blood... The dead chicken had bite marks and chunks that had been bitten off from the upper chest and body, esposing tendons and bone .
I don't know what else to do for my chicken rt now. I figure if she makes it through the night, maybe an epsom salt bath to help with her wounds. There are no veterinarians around me and I'm worried about prying around her wound and making it worse.

I don't know much as far as treating wounds go but you might want to post a picture so other members can see how bad the injury is and make suggestions. Where do you live btw? I am interested in figuring out what those two small gray mammals were.

Sorry about your chickens, and losing the one. Did you see the preditors? Maybe raccoons or foxes? The remaining hen sounds like she may be injured and in shock. They can be squeezed or shaken which can cause internal injuries. I would look her over everywhere under festhers, under wings , and check out how much damage around her vent. Look for deep wounds or puncture wounds especially. Do you have any disinfectants, such as Vetericyn, Chlorhexidene, or Betadine? Saline or plain dish soap and water may also be used. Deep wounds need to be flushed out well to get the bacteria out, and then plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be applied twice a day. Do not use hydrogen peroxide. Leave the wounds open to air. Keep her inside to observe her. When she seems awak, you can offer fluids and Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes can be used. Let us know how she is getting along later. I would not use any more prednisolone or steroids, since it may increase chances of infection.

Back
Top Bottom