Injured chickes dog attack!

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
My neighbors husky killed 3 of my chickens and 2 more are severely injured with 2 minorly injured he got into my extended run which is 3 ft of chicken wire they went through the chicken door and into the 4 foot fenced run I will post updates on the injires later I need to take care of them and build the injured ones an enclosure.

My neighbors husky killed 3 of my chickens and 2 more are severely injured with 2 minorly injured he got into my extended run which is 3 ft of chicken wire they went through the chicken door and into the 4 foot fenced run I will post updates on the injires later I need to take care of them and build the injured ones an enclosure.
:hugs Sorry...I hope you can save the 2 that are seriously injured. Treat for shock by giving sugar water or gatorade and keep them warm inside where it's quiet.

Ok so how much do you all think it will cost to get then stitched by a vet and can I do it myself if its going to cost too much on has a flap of skin hanging off its vent it's not that deep. The others have punctures on their backs and one has a minor wound on its vent. Also what should I do about the owners of the dog they are college kids but the college in our town is very expensive to go to should I try to get some compensation. He did beat on the dog a little bit so that's good I think they had him in an electric fence and his collar wasn't shocking him or somthing but they should still be responsible RIP my two buff orpington and my 11 week old EE.

Of course the owner of the husky is responsible and has to pay for any damage caused by his dog. Which includes consequential damages as well, as in your case might be in addition to the costs of the torn down fencing, the veterinarian care and medication for the injured ones, the costs to get new chickens of the same breed and age as the killed ones: cost of chickens, cost of gasoline to go and bring them to your home etc. etc.

This might sum up to quite a bill but surely the owners will be able to arrange for damage adjustment via their pet owner liability insurance.

Of course the owner of the husky is responsible and has to pay for any damage caused by his dog. Which includes consequential damages as well, as in your case might be in addition to the costs of the torn down fencing, the veterinarian care and medication for the injured ones, the costs to get new chickens of the same breed and age as the killed ones: cost of chickens, cost of gasoline to go and bring them to your home etc. etc.

This might sum up to quite a bill but surely the owners will be able to arrange for damage adjustment via their pet owner liability insurance.
I don't think college kids would have pet liability insurance and I don't know how to do all this I'm just a high schooler yes I would love to get some money for the chickens that died and would love to be able to take them to the vet and have him pay but I don't think he would fork over any money unless we sued him which my parents arnt going to do. Should I just go talk to him and ask for 20 per chicken that dies (60$ right now but could rack up to 140$ if all the wounded ones die) or should I right up a bill and put it in his mailbox for the chickens and the extra feeders and waterers.

I don't think college kids would have pet liability insurance

In case they are underage their parents are liable, so do not worry.

And attacks like these should be reported to the public authorities, even more so if the dog owners are not willing to take responsibility and will not compensate the aggrieved party accordingly.

Last edited:
I would go and talk with them. They are responsible for the dog. People bring me wounded and sick chickens. I have brought three chickens back from dog attacks. I brought them inside, put water ..scratch ..and offered wet whole wheat bread a few times a day. They usually wont touch the scratch but after a day will take the wet bread. I hope your critters make it. If they refuse to help and contain the dog, report them to animal control. The dog may try again..even if they did reprimand it.

Back
Top Bottom