Yep! I've been tube feeding ever since my vet had me do it for an injured drake a couple years ago. He recommended it for him to help him after a predator attack. When done right there is no risk of aspiration as long as you don't overfill the crop. I've got a little house chicken now that wouldn't be alive had I not tube fed her when she was sick, and a peacock too.

I've also saved the life of a newly hatched chick that arrived in an order from a hatchery that wasn't doing well and wouldn't eat or drink. I tube fed it a little water and nutri drench and within an hour it was up and eating and drinking and has done very well.

There are lots of people who keep cross-beak chickens like this little duckling and they tube feed them daily. There's actually an article about that here.
Great info.

Thanks to everyone who commented! This was so helpful! I will see what I can do. There are plenty of farms around here, so I am sure I will be able to find someone if it comes to that.
Best of luck with what ever you do decide...As long as the Duck does not suffer , I'm sure everyone agrees it's all about the Duck and not letting it suffer..
Best wishes..

Thanks to everyone who commented! This was so helpful! I will see what I can do. There are plenty of farms around here, so I am sure I will be able to find someone if it comes to that.
Welcome to BYC and wishing you the best with whatever you decide. The Duckling is several weeks old and almost certainly hatched that way, so it there is a very good chance it could live a happy life with the right care.

This is a chicken that lost at least half it's upper beak:
PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

Back
Top Bottom