Injured hen beak punctured, misaligned, and discolored

Any treatment you provide would involve touching her injured beak. How will you tube feed or medicate without opening her beak? That's would be super painful. If she were mine, I would euthanize her before inflicting that kind of pain trying to provide food, water, and medication. I'm so sorry. That's such a horrible spot for an injury.

Any treatment you provide would involve touching her injured beak. How will you tube feed or medicate without opening her beak? That's would be super painful. If she were mine, I would euthanize her before inflicting that kind of pain trying to provide food, water, and medication. I'm so sorry. That's such a horrible spot for an injury.
Exactly!
Sometimes the best decision is the hardest one.

Only you can judge when this chicken is in too much pain to be kept alive. As others have pointed out, sometimes the treatment is much worse than euthanizing. How often have we heard about a human with a painful injury or disease being put through agonizing treatment only to die after weeks of gruesome suffering? I know of such cases in my circle of friends. We can't legally euthanize a human in terrible suffering, but we do have that ability with a chicken we care about.

Putting aside a stubborn compulsion to "save a life", putting aside the fear of guilt, putting aside the fear of making the "wrong" decision, and focusing on what will spare the chicken the most suffering will allow you to make the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom